Friday, June 26, 2009

Kefi

"We need a pow-wow and we need it NOW!" wrote Winette.

"Yes, you're right. Where should we go?"

"There's this Greek place up by you. Kefi? Supposed to be good."

"Done and done. I'll try and get the SCU in order for you by dinner."

"Yes, please!"

I found Winette at the bar counter through the mob that was Kefi. The place was a zoo. People were climbing the walls to find seats. Every inch of the place was buzzing with energy. This is so rare at restaurants on the sleepy Upper West Side. I felt like I was in the Meatpacking District and I kinda liked it. Disclaimer: I cannot stand the MD and unless you're hosting a clueless out-of-towner's bachelorette party or birthday dinner I would never tell any one I cared about to go there.

The white walls, the wood and the blue T-shirts the staff wore spelled Greece to me. I half-expected Meryl Streep to stroll through en route to her hotel on the set of "Mamma Mia!"

I was stunned Winette was able to save me a seat next to her at the bar, and next to a handsome silver fox, no less. He sported a pair of glasses and was intently reading a book. I have no idea how he managed to keep so serious and studious amidst the Kefi chaos. His talent to drown the commotion out would come in handy in my boisterous newsroom. I secretly hoped he'd put the book down, lower his glasses and chime into our conversation, but nothing.

One of the bartenders quickly came to our rescue and offered us a taste of several wines. They were a little on the sweet side for me, but I was willing to go with it. For starters we ordered the selection of spreads: yogurt, "caviar", eggplant, chickpea for two. The pita was soft and warm and they didn't flinch when we asked them for more to soak up all the delicious dips. Each had its own distinct flavor and I liked the mix of sweet, salty and spicy.


"So?! Spill it!"

"OK, OK, not sure where to begin."

"Umm... can we say... D.C.?"

"Ha. So, I meet NavyHawaii. He's super cute and super nice, but I wasn't into him right off the bat. He just got off a plane from Afghanistan so he was working it pretty hard. Anyway, Warrior, NavyHawaii and I hit up a sushi place for dinner in Ballston then headed to Georgetown for a night out. One drink leads to another and the plan for a 'mellow' evening was out the window. We stumbled home to the Key Bridge Marriott and he offered to walk me to my room, despite the fact that my room was RIGHT next door to theirs. Hilarious."

"Oh boy. Nice move, NavyHawaii."

"We smooched... and the smooching didn't stop all weekend!"

"Ha. I love it!"

"So, after D.C. he went to go visit his dad in upstate New York and I told him I was only a train ride away and, what a coincidence it was Valentine's Day weekend. He ends up buying a train ticket. Shows up at my work the following Friday."

"Wow."

"I can count on one hand the real Valentine's Days I've had so it was pretty fun. I snuck out of work for an hour for dinner on Friday. Saturday two of his SEAL buddies surprised him and came up to the city for the day so we went on a bar crawl starting around three. Took them to McSorley's, Gemma. Sunday we went to the zoo! He wanted to go on a zoo run, and I was like HELL NO."

"So what are you thinking?"

"I dunno. I really like him and he's cute with the texts and the calling. I just can't do another long distance thing, you know? I foresee another Hawkeye situation."

"Yeah. That is a no-no. You need somebody here."

"Right..."

After our first course, we tried the sheep's milk dumplings with tomatoes, pine nuts and warm, soft feta. Think a Greek version of gnocchi. I absolutely loved it. The dumplings were huge, but light and doughy. Not too soft, not too hard. Just right. (Yes, I sound like Goldilocks.) I have been craving this dish since the last bite.

"Well, do you have plans to see him again?"

"He wants me to go out to Hawaii, but I'm kind of like, what's the point, you know? I know myself and I know I'd go out there, get more crazy about him, then come back being miserable and wanting to move to Hawaii, which, in theory sounds amazing, but it's just not going to happen."

"Right."

Now to Kefi's piece de resistance: the fritter sandwich. It is now one of my all-time favorites in the city, right up there with Daddy-O's chicken sammy. A warm, thick pita, resistant to ripping into shreds, wrapped around chickpea, eggplant and bulgur fritters with tahini. Oh. My. God. Winette and I shared it gracefully, but I kept thinking I want another. I want another. Kefi packs a lot of flavor into some simple dishes and I really love them for it.

Winette's a vegetarian and the fact that I had three veggie-friendly dishes and felt stuffed and happy is saying a LOT.


"So... any other SCUs to report? Who's next?"

"Well... I kind of have this crush..."

"Ummm, excuse me, sir? Sir? I think we'll have another round of wine."

2 Comments:

Blogger Jasmine @ Eat Move Write said...

That food looks delish!!! Are you an aspiring writer? I suppose I should have read your bio before I asked that (possibly I have, but I follow so many blogs!). Your blog reads like an excerpt from a novel.

Have a fantastico weekend!

12:46 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

It was. So good I may be going back and I rarely repeat restaurants in this city;) Always aspiring for something, but yes, writer's at the top of the list. hope you had a great weekend Mrs. Myers. thanks for writing. come back again!

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.