Barefoot Mon-tessa
Tonight was a night of baking. Fashionista is having a "Friendsgiving" party tomorrow night, and since I'm working tomorrow, I devoted tonight to baking my contribution to the festivities. With apron and newly purchased toys from Williams Sonoma, I became Moni Crocker for the evening.
I am sitting here in my apron, I am actually barefoot, Ina, and I'm smelling the beautiful apple crisp in the kitchen. Thank you for this recipe!
If you haven't tried the Barefoot Contessa's apple crisp, you must. Every Thanksgiving my family tries to add a new recipe to our "repertoire" so it's never too late for you to add this to yours. Apple pies, crumbles and crisps are some of my favorite desserts. I'm picky when it comes to apple anything, so I would not endorse this recipe lightly. It is by far the best apple crisp my family has ever encountered.
Old-Fashioned Apple Crisp, from Barefoot Contessa's Parties! by Ina Garten
5 pounds McIntosh or Macoun apples (My local grocery store did not have a scale and to my amazement, when I got to the cashier, she weighed my apples in at 4.99 pounds. Some things are meant to be!!)
Grated zest of 1 orange
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 tbl freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tbl freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 c granulated sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
For the topping:
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup oatmeal (feel free to be generous with the oatmeal, and butter, for that matter, for that is the best part, after all)
1/2 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 14 x 2 inch oval baking dish.

Peel, core, and cut the apples into large wedges. Combine the apples with the zests, juices, sugar, and spices. Pour into the dish.
To make the topping, combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and cold butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is the size of peas. Scatter evenly over the apples. (I do not have an electric mixer and my makeshift hands-on approach with plastic bags over my hands so not to get greasy worked swell.)
Place the crisp on a sheet pan and bake for one hour (it always ends up being more than an hour, let's say an hour and fifteen minutes) until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. Serve warm.
I took these pictures with my two-year-old Sony Ericsson, so please excuse the graininess. I think you can still get the idea.
Happy Thanksgiving!!
And don't worry, you will get the play-by-play of tomorrow night's "Friendsgiving" party. I can't wait to see the feast it turns into. I told Fashionista, like a friend's wedding where Polaroids were taken of all guests arriving at the reception, we should take pictures of each item of food as it arrives at her apartment.
I am sitting here in my apron, I am actually barefoot, Ina, and I'm smelling the beautiful apple crisp in the kitchen. Thank you for this recipe!
If you haven't tried the Barefoot Contessa's apple crisp, you must. Every Thanksgiving my family tries to add a new recipe to our "repertoire" so it's never too late for you to add this to yours. Apple pies, crumbles and crisps are some of my favorite desserts. I'm picky when it comes to apple anything, so I would not endorse this recipe lightly. It is by far the best apple crisp my family has ever encountered.
5 pounds McIntosh or Macoun apples (My local grocery store did not have a scale and to my amazement, when I got to the cashier, she weighed my apples in at 4.99 pounds. Some things are meant to be!!)
Grated zest of 1 orange
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 tbl freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tbl freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 c granulated sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
For the topping:
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup oatmeal (feel free to be generous with the oatmeal, and butter, for that matter, for that is the best part, after all)
1/2 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 14 x 2 inch oval baking dish.
Peel, core, and cut the apples into large wedges. Combine the apples with the zests, juices, sugar, and spices. Pour into the dish.
To make the topping, combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and cold butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is the size of peas. Scatter evenly over the apples. (I do not have an electric mixer and my makeshift hands-on approach with plastic bags over my hands so not to get greasy worked swell.)
Place the crisp on a sheet pan and bake for one hour (it always ends up being more than an hour, let's say an hour and fifteen minutes) until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. Serve warm.
I took these pictures with my two-year-old Sony Ericsson, so please excuse the graininess. I think you can still get the idea.
Happy Thanksgiving!!
And don't worry, you will get the play-by-play of tomorrow night's "Friendsgiving" party. I can't wait to see the feast it turns into. I told Fashionista, like a friend's wedding where Polaroids were taken of all guests arriving at the reception, we should take pictures of each item of food as it arrives at her apartment.
15 Comments:
0.01 out?! I'd be embarrassed ;-)
So what type of apples are they, I don't recognise the breed. I assume they keep some of the shape but not all? They go a little gooey?
not sure i get ya, naz. 0.01? what are you talking about? the apples are mcintosh. yes, apples go soft, NOT gooey. how ya been?
oh. something i can do from here in taipei, with ingredients I can actually find here! (yes, that's why i've been so quiet...but i'm posting again!)
hey rose!! great to hear from you!!
what are you doing in taipei??
i hope you're doing well :)
happy early thanksgiving!!!
thanks for checking in, it's been a while.
.01 away from an even five pounds of apples.... Are you getting/taking some days off this week? Are you doing Thanksgiving in Conneticut?
I am going home Tuesday and CAN'T WAIT!!!!
Happy Thanksgiving Mona!
Love,
Mo
Nice job Mona! The crumbly bits on top are by far my favorite!
It does sound awesome.
That looks great - and it just so happens that I was about to start looking for a dessert recipe - thank you!
The Apple Crisps were a huge hit! I'm already looking forward to whatever yummy dish you decide to bring to next year's Friendsgiving.
Friendsgiving? I thought I'd cornered the market on that term :) Although this is the first year I'm skipping it...
In any case, looks divine. Save me some, will ya? :)
Mo, how are you? Ha, I'm such an idiot, of course that's what he meant. I must have been half asleep. Yup, I will be home in CT. I'm here now, heading back in just for work tomorrow, then back out. I only get Thurs off but it's better than nothing. So the Sharptons are headed to C'ville for their first Thanksgiving together? That's so exciting! Does that mean Xmas in South Cackalacka? Please give the family a big hug for me!!
Joe, me too! I could just skip the apples entirely and eat the buttery oatmeal till the cows come home. Happy Thanksgiving! Hope all's well in sunny AZ.
Thanks Kalyn. Happy Turkey Day. I hope you're doing well:)
Mebeth, oh I really hope you try this one. It's a hit. And everyone loves the citrusy zing to it, with the zest. That's what makes it a real special treat.
Fashionista, thanks for having us. It was so much fun!! Goodness, what will I bring next year that's better than the crisp? I think I'll bring an entree since everyone was too stuffed to finish off the desserts :)
Yvo, actually there is a lot left in my fridge!!! I'm sorry you had to skip Friendsgiving this year. Going home for Turkey Day?
now that is one dessert i will have to try, it looks fantastic :) what are macintosh? red ones? i will have to consult with google on that one :)
Leftover? Really? *perks up* Although I had a get-rid-of-leftovers night last night with a friend...
Actually, I grew up in NYC, so my mom still lives in Queens. My sister is hosting this year, out in LI (in the house she just bought), but Friendsgiving in years past was generally organized by me, just a dinner out with my friends to express gratitude for our friendship and show I appreciated them (I should add that I was in high school when it started, though, so I hadn't yet gotten around to actually hosting/treating everyone)- but never on the actual Thanksgiving day since we're all from NYC and have family here that we celebrate with. Always a fun day, but this year I'm participating in NaNoWriMo and the whole month has slipped on by without me doing any of my November rituals (finish Christmas shopping, organize dinners, birthday parties, etc.). Ah well, maybe next year :)
Happy Thanksgiving, Mona. The apple crisp looks great -- I'm making an apple cake for tomorrow. I'll post the recipe. It's great and not too sweet -- perfect the morning after with coffee.
Stay well....
Happy Thanksgiving (and Friendsgiving), Mona!
That crisp sounds fantastic-- and the crumble is my favorite part, too. Save me some...
Post a Comment
<< Home