Monday, February 06, 2006

Burnt-overs

I love all things Susan Branch (and Mary Engelbreit, but I don't think she cooks). I guess I'm corny that way. And I've been staring at these books for long enough in our family room, it was high time I gave one of Branch's Vineyard recipes a go. I love Branch's handwritten pages and quotes, and her stories that go along with all her recipes. If, in a different life, I ever wrote a cookbook, I would want it to look like Susan Branch's.

photo courtesy of SusanBranch.com

I can't say why the popovers grabbed my eye, maybe it was the small list of ingredients and the seemingly brainless instructions that followed. Either way, it was breakfast time and I didn't feel like Raisin Bran.

Taken from Heart of the Home, Notes from a Vineyard Kitchen by Susan Branch

Popovers

Ingredients:

3 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
1 tbl melted butter
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup unbleached flour

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Makes about 12 popovers.

Butter cups of muffin pan.
Beat all ingredients together until smooth.
Fill muffin pans with batter 2/3 full.
Bake for 45 minutes. **(WAIT! NO!! Do NOT bake for 45 minutes. I followed this and got burnt-overs. Bake for half the time, seriously, all they need is about 20 minutes.)**
Take them out after about 10 minutes and slit the tops with a nice sharp knife.
Return them to the oven for the remainder of the time.

Susan, who I love, serves her popovers (or were hers burntovers too) in a basket with a checkered cloth. Perfect!

(I will say despite mine being a little on the hard-as-rock side, they did still taste okay on the inside. They just didn't look like the popovers Branch painted in her book; mine were more like inverted muffins.)


11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, slow down, I can't keep up. I still have 2 more batches of scones to make. LOL

I'm nuts about Susan Branch and Mary E too! Do you get or ever pick up "Home Companion"-- ME's magazine? It has some of the neatest stories in it about artists like Patience Brewster, Tracy Hambley. You would really enjoy the artists write-ups. Google them if you get a chance.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Janice, no way! I had no idea she had a magazine. That is soooo cool! I can't wait to check it out. Ok, I'm looking them up at work as we speak:)

5:34 PM  
Blogger PepperThought said...

oye scone girl... looks like you've been baking away! anyways, your oven may be a little too "efficient" for you to pull the tray out in 1/2 the time. it happens in some nyc apartments. have you been to slice, the organic pizzeria? i blogged it a few minutes back. check it out.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Hey Betty Crocker, where are the pics? I commend you for being brave enough to bake...just about everything I make is good for a doorstop.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Susan Branch too! I have one of her books called "Sweets for the Sweet" ... it's so cute.

Great recipe and great post!

10:15 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

AG, no I haven't been there. I will definitely read your post and check it out-sounds great! Swimster says he ate the best pizza of his life the other day at Patsy's, I'm so psyched I have all these pizza places to try!

BC, well, sadly, these popovas were almost doormat material-ha! My dad was like, uh, those look a little overcooked. THANKS FOR STATING THE OBVIOUS! Ha:) But he actually said they tasted pretty good despite the outer crispy core.

Ivonne, thanks! I know, I live vicariously through her. I wish I could do what she does for a living. She seems to have such a fulfilling life. A girl can dream, right?

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job Mona! I have always wanted to try these but have never ventured a go...will remember what you said about baking time :)

2:03 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

I recently pulled out the old Susan Branch too! Beware, she will perhaps lure you to go out and buy a bunch of watercolors and convince yourself that it would be fun to paint little pictures of your food.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Joey, yes, baking time makes all the difference :)

Mebeth, you are absolutely right, and to move to the Vineyard and just live there happily ever after.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum and congrats on baking those treats.

Have you ever been to Popover Cafe on the Upper West Side?

3:58 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

No I have not, and have passed by it several times..it's by Barney Greengrass right? Are you a fan? If you say yes I will definitely have to check it out next time on my walk home.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.