Sunday, October 09, 2005

Dinner Suggestions?

Everyone in my family has a fall birthday.
9/27, 10/6, 10/11, 11/6 and then Swimster of course who's 12/6.
It's an expensive few months, with birthday present-buying, Halloween costume investing, holiday decorations, and of course slight wardrobe updates with the latest fall trends.
Next birthday up is the Big Cahuna's, AKA Papa Bear, Dad-E-O, "Honey Bear" to mom, Cos to friends, Dad to me.
(*Dad, if you're reading this stop now*)
Mom and I are planning on making him dinner.















A few things about Dad...loves to surf, loves to flyfish, loves travelling, loves a cold bottle of Stella Artois, loves his new I-pod, loves cruising in his sportscar, loves all things Italian (especially making his own bread and meatballs), and loves us, very much. As far as food goes, there's no food he really dislikes, except avocados.

I thought it'd be fun to post today and ask the wondrous world of food bloggers out there for some b-day dinner ideas. And to narrow it down let's keep the theme of dinner Italian. It's who he is, it's half of what I am (thanks to Mom for the Irish love in there too!), and it's something we all know we'll enjoy. If I see something I like I'll be making it for dinner, or part of dinner Tuesday night, and will promise to take lots of pictures to share with you all.

So, put your thinking hats on and let me know what your favorite Italian recipes are out there.

I hope you're all having fabulous weekends :)

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday all! Mona, who's the one with the 10/6 birthday? That's mine, as well.

For suggestions, I'll put my thinking cap on for specifics. Off the top of my head, on the FoodNetwork channel, Giada and Rachael have some nice recipes for entertaining. Perhaps you could check it out.

Paz

5:18 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Paz, that's my brother's bday! Ha! Wait, happy belated birthday!! Sorry I missed it!! Oh cool, will definitely check that out.

5:44 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

hi mona,
I've made the Cook's Illustrated Spinach pasta recipe a few times and it never fails to garner oohs and ahs. It's got a bechamel sauce instead of a tomato based sauce. I find that overall it's a bit time consuming, but I think there are a few steps like blanching and squeezing out the spinach that you can do ahead of time. If you don't have access to the recipe section of the CI website, let me know and I'll send the recipe your way.
Happy Birthday to all my fellow Libras!
melissa

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mona - sounds like a busy (and fun) month for you. I have a Halloween Party for all my "little" friends so lots of planning for that. I'll be interested to learn what you prepare for your Dad's b'day. He sounds like a great Dad!!
Which Friedman are you reading. I picked up 2 today - "The World is Flat" and "Longitudes & Attitudes". I must quit work so I can have time to read - just not enough hours in the day.
Happy Monday!
Janice

7:41 PM  
Blogger Seth Chadwick said...

Mona,

Birthday wishes to everyone there!

Might I suggest something very Italian, but also very hearty and pleasing?

Gnocchi in a Garlic Cream Sauce.

You can find plenty of recipes all over the net and at foodtv.com. It is fairly easy to make and requires potatoes, flour and eggs and a big pot of boiling water.

The sauce is creamy and pleasing to all. You can serve gnocchi with a red sauce, but I recommend the garlic cream sauce.

Just my $0.02.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favourite aunt who is Irish is married to an Italian. I'm spending a few days with them next month on a visit to Australia. Because I'm her favourite niece and she always puts on a big feast in my honour with all their family present. They have become known in my family as "Miriam's Feast".
There's a nice recipe in Marcella Cucina for Squid braised in olive oil and white wine with spinach, fresh tomato and chilli pepper which is nice and can be partially prepared the day before.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

Hey Mona, glad you visited my site otherwise I'd never have found yours. Happy birthday to the gang.

As to recipes for your dad's not so surprise dinner, I don't know if you're looking for simple or more complex, but osso bucco (braised veal shanks in wonderful garlicy tomato sauce) over risotto Milanese would be a winner. For something simpler how about pasta with pesto, mushrooms and grilled chicken.

Let me know if you need a recipe.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Michael Mahle said...

Hi Mona,

Thanks for checking out my blog/site. We certainly have a lot in common. Looking forward to catching up on all of your reviews and can't wait to see future ones! Happy dining!

Michael
(big apple dining guide)

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Mona! we also have autumm birthdays in my family! I don't know if it's a little late, but I would recomend de Gnocci that Seth also recomended...we made gnocci for my sister's birthday 9/28. you'll find everuthing in my blog. Besos and happy birthday to your dad

10:05 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Melissa, I just went to the site and apparently I have to sign up-oh no! I'm kind of scared of doing free trials because then I end up subscribing later down the road..if you have a minute would you mind forwarding to mlnistaATgmailDOTCOM? Thanks so much for writing!

*Janice, I love planning Halloween parties! Unfortunately this year it seems I'll have a full weekend BEFORE Halloween going to parties, but I was thinking of having a mellow dinner party on the night OF Halloween, assuming everyone will be partied out from the weekend. oh, and I'm reading From Beirut to Jerusalem. It's great. And extremely heavy on the useful info/background on these countries and their identity crises.

*Seth, that gnocchi sounds awesome! Thanks for your 2 cents...love it! We all love gnocchi and garlicis my favorite garnish/flavoring.

*Barbara, thanks for writing, as always. I love the sounds of that Miriam's Feast! So fun! I'm going to check out Marcella Cucina, because as you can see (from my Bellavitae post), squid is a huge favorite of mine.

*Ruth, I've always wanted to try osso bucco. This would be the perfect occasion to as well! And pesto, you've picked a winner in my book. Love pesto. I'll do some reconaissance and look up some recipes. Thanks so much for writing!

*Badge, or Michael, how's it going? Got any fun places on the radar for this week? Unfortunately, I do not...thanks for your comments. And look forward to keeping tabs on each other!

*Tattum, that's 2 for gnocchi. I might just have to go with that, since I know it's one of my and my dad's favorites.

Happy Monday everyone, and p.s. it's my Friday! YAHOO!!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Yeah, go with Gnocchi in Cream Sauce! Cooooomfort food.

Maybe add in a seasonal salad like greens with apples and walnuts with vinigarette. Maybe make your own vinigarette using olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a little apple cider or something???

Dessert.. last night "Semi-homemade cooking with Sandra Lee" made a rustic peach (open-faced) tart that looked soo simple.
I'm not a fan of her show but that recipe looked tasty and quick!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_29704,00.html

4:09 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Here's that link:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_29704,00.html

...the one above didn't copy right.

:-)

4:10 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*CCM, thanks for those recs, I've added them to my TO GO list, and I'm excited to try both.
Anyone who's reading comments, CCM is getting her masters in media and has started a blog for her class. She puts up some awesome NYC pictures. Take a peek and enjoy!

*CB, yay, another one for gnocchi! Thanks for that link to the dessert, I will definitely check that out!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Ed Tep said...

Mona, did I miss your birthday??? OMG, if I did then HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY. I hope that you had a great birthday, birthweek, birthmonth, and on....

In regards to Italian recipes, I would echo Paz's suggestion of going with something Giada makes. Her food always looks so tasty on TV. Otherwise, perhaps a lasagna. You can make it ahead of time, leaving you time to enjoy the actual dinner celebration.

3:05 AM  
Blogger s'kat said...

I know I'm too late, but here's an idea for next year: timpano di maccheronni!

http://www.pbase.com/soleilmia/image/25884588

10:06 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Ed Tep, thanks for your wishes! So nice of you!! Thanks for that tip, I unfortunately totally bailed on Italian, as you can see but I'm excited to try this recipe everybody loves.

*S'kat, I don't know what that thing is but that looks out of this world ridiculous!! Oh my! Have you tried making it?!?! That picture just says it all....

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.