Sunday, September 11, 2005

Mayrose- Comfortable Food

Swimster and I had a rough night Friday. We stayed out way too late at a smoky bar in the East Village called Karma. When dancing started downstairs it was all over. Friends were in town and you just can't bail on visitors, work or no work the next day. I had to be at work at 11am and when the alarm went off at 9:15ish, we were groggy, had minor headaches and ravenous appetites. Neither of us felt it would be smart to continue the rest of the day without some serious nourishment.
Swimster and I had come across Mayrose on one of our morning walks and wanted to try it out. I mentioned Friend of a Farmer, but since I'd eaten there a while back, we decided to try some place new.
The restaurant has a prime corner spot, on 21st and Broadway. And its massive windows and high ceilings are extremely inviting. The day I walked by it on my way to work I couldn't help but look inside and wish I could be in there relaxing, sipping coffee and reading the paper.
I was happy the hostess sat us against the window facing Broadway. It's nice when the hostess knows what he/she's doing and they spread their patrons out, rather than pack them all in one area of the restaurant. Mayrose has the feel of a diner, with its countertop seating and bright yellow leather stools, but with subtle Manhattan flare.
Our friendly server brought us water immediately and handed us the large brunch menu. He was quite chatty and shared his adventures at ESPNzone the night before. Mayrose has a little of everything to offer: pancakes and muffins, hamburgers and omelettes, fries and waffles and sandwiches.
Swimster decided quickly on a hamburger. "Is that weird?" he asked. "No, definitely not," I said. When he sneakily tacked cheese fries with gravy on to his order, I took it back, well, maybe that is weird. I went with the more standard breakfast order: a goat cheese, mushroom and spinach omelette with wheat toast and potatoes. I was extremely impressed. Goat cheese in an omelette is hit or miss. A lot of times I feel the omelette-maker will put WAY too much goat cheese in, overpowering everything else. Not this case at Mayrose. The omelette was just the right size and served with some spiced potatoes which weren't nearly as crispy and cooked as I like. I tend to go for the burnt pieces in the potato batch. But still, so far so good.
Swimster's burger was large and in charge. I liked how the bun was buttery and grilled, always a nice touch and reminded me of my favorite childhood burgers at Fuddruckers. The cheese fries were a different story. At first glance we thought they forgot the gravy, until we started eating away at the top layer and realized the fries were swamped in a gravy stew below. Swimster said the gravy was a little too watery to work well with the fries, also noting that nobody does cheese fries like Outback. And what I noticed, and didn't particularly like, was they melted what seemed like Kraft slices of cheese over the fries, making it look like an orange rubbery substance. I prefer the fresh grated cheese myself.
I decided to order a scone, and was somewhat annoyed when they didn't have any. I opted for a blueberry crumb muffin instead and was pleased several hours later when I actually had room in my stomach to eat it. It was huge.
Mayrose does indeed serve "comfortable food" as it states in its full title and I am sure we will be getting back.





920 Broadway, on the corner of 21st,
212-533-FOOD

16 Comments:

Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Mona,
Hi and thanks for stopping by my blog. What I would do right now for a nice thick American cheeseburger...Yum... Now that I have found cheddar cheese here it's a possiblilty. My next step is looking for the buns.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Hey, grazie for writing!
Need to brush up on my Italian...my dad's family is from a small town in the Naples area called Colle Sanita. Where do you and your hubby live?
Just read a fabulous book on Florence in the 15th century.."Birth of Venus" and desperately made me want to go to Italy! You're so lucky!

2:56 PM  
Blogger Amy Traverso said...

Hey, thanks for your nice comments on my little blog. I just did a quick scan here, and
I'm looking forward to reading it in detail. I really miss living so close to NYC.
Have you been to Rice to Riches on Spring Street? I love that place, even if it
is a money laundering operation. Oh, and we're nuts about Carmel. Well, Big Sur specifically, but the whole area
is so beautiful. Recommendations would be gratefully received. Have you ever been to
Deetjen's?

Take care,
Amy

3:17 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Ohmygod I love Deetjen's, though I've only had the fortune to eat there for breakfast. My mom says I HAVE to get there for dinner, they have duck, which (sorry vegetarians) I love!
Thanks for checking out my blog! It's been so quiet this morning...

3:52 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Outback does have the best cheese fries! I haven't had them in so long though...ever since they started offering coconut shrimp. I barely make it to my meal before I've gorged myself on them.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I noticed you put Cake Fun in your sidebar...thanks! I'm from TN. I really appreciate your visits and fun comments.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Mona: Saw your post about bullies over at FarmGirl's site and I wanted to show you my 'lil guy!

8:44 AM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Now that sounds like the type of diner I'd love to have in my own neighborhood!

And you are right about the goat cheese, too few have the 'just so' touch with it.

Nice blog, mona, I look forward to browsing through it when I've a bit more time!

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh...love discovering new places to eat breakfast! :)

12:28 PM  
Blogger Coodence said...

Hi Mona,

I'm glad you made it safely out of Karma. My hubby and I and a bunch of pals had one the private rooms for hookah smoking, when an ENORMOUS COCKROACH fell on his head. So disgusting. I am forever traumatized and will never again be able to go to Karma.

6:01 PM  
Blogger *fanny* said...

Hi this is fanny from Food beam. As i've said on my blog we could write eachothers mail in french. Let me know;
Take care
Fanny

9:02 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Hello friends,
Sorry I've been such a slacker on responding! I have an odd weekend schedule...my Saturday Sunday is actually everyone else's mid-week Tues/Wednesday. And I haven't quite gotten the internet up and running in the new apartment.
Lisa-it's always a pleasure visiting CakeFun, I encourage anyone who wants some pretty party ideas and some SERIOUS eye candy to check it out. I'll have to try the coco shrimp the next time I go to Outback.

Cherry begonia, thanks for that adorable pic of your bulldog!! So cute and I'm extremely jealous...

S'kat, thanks for stopping by! I decided I wanted to play with the blog look a little bit, and I lost all my original customizations by accident but it seems back to normal finally...and of course I have you to thank for helping with the images in the sidebar!

Joey, thanks for saying hello! It's been a week since I've eaten out, am getting the dining out bug...

Violet, I will definitely have to check out the penicillin, that sounds scary!! Mmmmm, I love feta cheese, might have to get a greek salad today for lunch. Thanks for the inspiration.

Coodence, thanks for stopping by. That story about Karma is ridiculous, I can't believe it, well, I can but God..thank god nothing like that happened to us! I might have to rethink the next time someone mentions going there.

Fanny, merci pour le message! Plus tard j'irai a ton blog et voir qu'est ce qui se passe dans "your neck of the woods." je ne sais pas comment dire en francais.

Thanks everyone! Hope you're all having great weeks!

11:50 AM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Mona, I think that you have me confused with someone else!

I can't believe that there's someone else with such a nick as close to mine, lol.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

I just realized that S'kat!! HA! Go to my-indulgence.blogspot and you'll find the name is actually Skrat, not skat :) My apologies!! To you and skrat :)

2:16 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Skrat, of course! My pleasure!

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mona,mona. Penicillin (or more politically incorrect, Jewish penicillin) is good old chicken soup. New York style.Be unafraid.

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.