21 Club
Day 15 of the T-90 Project:
MissHockey and I scheduled, canceled and rescheduled dinner at 21 Club a few times before it actually happened. Thank goodness it did because I leave New York City as one of its biggest fans.
In my first days as a New Yorker, I noticed the jockey statues and wrought-iron gates that welcome patrons into the den. When I asked my dad, "Have you heard of this 21 Club place?" he laughed and said, "Of course." Apparently he'd eaten there a few times. I knew they had a dress code for dudes, but not so much the ladies. I was a little intimidated to eat there, fearing the kind of vibe I loathed at Sparks, though I was determined to try it at least once. When MissHockey mentioned they had a $35 pre-theater dinner I was all about it. I generally stay away from prix fixes, especially those of Restaurant Week, because I feel the eater gets jipped, but such was not the case at "21."
I ordered some oysters to start, then had the Provencal vegetable terrine with goat cheese, red bell peppers, zucchini and eggplant in a bell pepper emulsion. It was very tasty. I followed that with the horseradish-crusted salmon while MissHockey tried the risotto. Both dishes were superb - I don't even like risotto generally but this was chunky and fantastic. It was all scrumptious until dessert - my peach tart was disappointing. All in all though it was a fabulous meal matched with excellent service.
Once I told our waiter I was moving to Los Angeles and this was one of my last dinners in New York he took us under his wing and practically escorted us from our table to a cab outside. Though I won't be able to contribute anything as fun as John McEnroe's smashed tennis racket to the ceiling of dangling trinkets and mementos, I do hope to return with my family and/or MissHockey someday. What a perfect T-90 night!
Click here for the rich and amusing history of what we now know as the 21 Club.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home