Little Buddy Biscuit Company
The Apple just turned four in August, and I think that's the amount of times I've accepted free gifts and promised to write about them.
The first was Snapple's equivalent to Vitamin Water. I think the overall consensus was, in the words of The New York Times' new restaurant critic Sam Sifton, "meh." Next up were several boxes of Lipton PureLeaf Iced Teas. I even helped Lipton host an event which was fun, though it didn't launch me into blogging stardom.
About a month ago I received a bag of goodies from Duane Reade's new line of DR delish snacks which I have managed to share with the entire third floor newsroom. Two (times 10) thumbs up for Duane Reade! I believe one coworker exclaimed, "Wow! This s*** is good!"
Last, but not least, I recently received an e-mail asking if I'd like some samples from the Little Buddy Biscuit Company in Brooklyn. Are you serious?! I had low hopes for this delivery -- I half expected to get a box of Keebler Sandies in the mail. I thought it was a great big hoax. No legitimate bakery or restaurant has ever sent me samples to date.
I was sitting at my desk when the phone rang and I could see "SECURITY" pop up on the screen. This meant one of two things: I was being stalked by some reader who didn't like my article about Michael Phelps, I was receiving a J. Crew wear package from mom or a surprise from the Little Buddy Biscuit Company. Thank god for surprises!
I ran upstairs in a flash (or rather I took the elevator jumping up and down and pressing the "close doors" button like a lunatic). I was so excited to share my booty with my co-workers.
"What'd you get?" Desk chairs were swiveling and heads kept popping up over the dividers.
I didn't respond and began furiously foraging for a pair of scissors to cut the ribbon off this adorable pink box that sat in front of me. I felt like Alice in Wonderland.
"I rec-fjsdflkj cook-sf;ljdl from Brook-fklsdjf!"
"Huh?"
"Cookies?"
"Did someone say cookies?"
My coworkers are worse than sharks in a feeding frenzy. Anytime anyone opens anything that crinkles and could be food the world stops, news stops and we go into attack mode.
"Wait. One. Second!" MomoManiac's hands were already messing up the bounty.
"You can't take an ENTIRE cookie. You have to take a piece and pass it around. I need to taste everyone of them," I said.
"But what is this for?!"
I then go on to explain that I'm kind of not a big deal, but once in a blue moon I get a package from a foodie who wants me to try his or her product.
Meanwhile I dug into the peanut butter chip one. I was worried when I saw them wrapped in plastic. I assumed they'd be crispy pieces of bark. Instead I bit into a moist, luscious, chewy cookie and my heart melted.
"WOW!" "MMMM!" "WOW!" "MMMMMM!" erupted from my neighbors.
Come on, @Nedpotterabc. I know you have a sweet tooth. Bite off a piece of this cookie chunk.
The box included the following: chocolate chunk, molasses spice with crystallized ginger chunks, double chocolate almond cherry, orange cardamom cocount with currants and macadamia nuts, peanut peanut butter with chocolate chunks (not a typo peanut times TWO), and deep chocolate chunk with ground chile and spice.
"Am I tasting some sort of Mexican spice in here?!" Somebody whined with a mouthful.
"Yes E-, that is correct."
Holy moly. If you live in Brooklyn you must must MUST get to Little Buddy's. They were some of the best store-bought cookies I've ever tasted. And the plastic coverings kept them fresh and chewy for a solid week. The chef and owner may as well have been making them in ovens in the control rooms behind my desk. They were so fresh and delicious I can't wait to order a box, or better yet, journey out to Brooklyn so I can meet the owner face to face and thank him for a special post-Yankees win treat.
635 5th Avenue, bt 17th & 18th Sts, Brooklyn
(718) 369-6355



5 Comments:
(a) A rare thing for me as a blogger but man do I love receiving products to review. Yes, even the poop-smell-be-gone spray.
(b) Based on your comments, I clearly need to find out if they ship. Because if so, I'm officially adding them to my list of places to order from when visiting out people out of town. Perhaps Hubs Peanuts has some competition....
Sounds delish, although I would be careful about sharing your booty with your co-workers. Unless you want to be known as that girls around your office!
Mmmmm....cookies!
Cookie! I need some little buddy.
you crack me up, pj. they do deliver i believe, but check their web site. ah, hubs. god i love hubs. but if you like hubs you must try these: http://www.americasbestnutco.com/. EVEN better. and the sea salt ones - to die for!
young'un, what if i already am the girl around the office? ;) ha!
bc, happy holidays. good to hear from you.
greg, is that a photo i see? adorable. thanks for commenting.
Post a Comment
<< Home