Sunday, March 12, 2006

Weekend Zoo Blogging


As many of you know, I don't have a cat, and I don't have a dog. My parents still have Tucker in Carmel, but now that I'm 26 and out of the house, I can't really consider him my cat anymore. Instead of posting a picture of Tucker here for Weekend Cat Blogging, I decided to post some pictures of my recent trip to the Bronx Zoo, and I'm calling it Weekend Zoo Blogging. This blog is primarily about my adventures in food in the city (so please excuse this brief departure), but I could not pass up this opportunity to encourage you to support our local zoo. And if that doesn't work, join the Wildlife Conservancy Group, which I have since done.

If you live in the city and are an animal person like myself, then get up out of your chair and go to the Bronx Zoo now. Are you leaving yet? And don't forget the camera. A baby gorilla was born in January and if you go now, you will be able to watch the little Triska with her new family at the Congo Gorilla Forest. It is well worth the eight dollars to get in. I am pretty passionate about animals and could have sat there all day looking at this adorable face. Can you see why? And look how close I got. There was only a thick glass separating the two of us. I was a few short inches away from its nose (according to the sign on the glass they haven't determined if Triska is male or female yet). We were playing pattycake through the glass. It was truly amazing.

Triska was glued to her mommy's chest too. Any time the baby would try and "crawl" on its own, a feisty young gorilla would fly over to play and mommy would swoop it up in her long furry arms and back to her chest it would lie. It was a sight to witness. And the coolest part? I got to go on a weekday (the only advantage to working weekends) and I really had the gorillas (and all of the other animals too) all to myself. Here are a couple more:


Here are a few more of the other creatures I ran into. My last zoo experience was a long time ago, and I can't remember which one it was, but I remember being deeply saddened by seeing animals caged up. But the Bronx Zoo surprisingly has (for the most part) some beautiful facilities for its animals. And I just told myself, the zoos are trying to promote awareness and like the guy said who won the Oscar for "March of the Penguins," "If we can turn one child into a penguin-loving person, we did our job." To me, that's what zoos should be about, turning people into animal lovers who care about protecting them, in addition to providing the best nurturing environments for its wild animals.

I'm not a snake fan but I couldn't resist this guy staring back at me. It looked like he had just eaten a goat with his scaled body expanded to about one and a half feet in width.

And these cuties, especially the one on top smiling at me.

And finally Tiger Mountain. This was too funny. I have a really old digital camera and thank goodness Sasha (we identified her by a stripe chart on the wall in her house) kept pacing back and forth for me. But this was the only head-on I got! The picture actually takes about five seconds after I press the button so I kept on guess-timating when to take the picture. Oh was it frustrating. This still gives you an idea of how close I was.


I hope you will get to the zoo before Triska grows up. I figure, how many times in your life will you be able to see a baby gorilla? Next up, a zoo with baby pandas :) A lot of the animals were hiding out because of the cold, but I did get to enjoy some of the main characters: polar bears, grizzly bears, penguins, tigers, gorillas, giraffes, eagles, and many others. I hope in the spring I will get back to check on Triska, to pick up our pattycake game, and to find some lions.


14 Comments:

Blogger Ilva said...

I love this Mona-so funny! And interesting! I have this love-hate relationship with zoos, I hate what it does to animals but I always end up visiting them. Even without the excuse of children...

10:05 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

My last visit to a zoo was the National Zoo in DC a few years ago. We saw the baby elephant that was just a few months old and of course the pandas (this was the pre-buttercup period). They were all very very cute.

I love animals and I love seeing them but I do find myself torn at the sight of seeing animals "couped" up like that--it really isn't natural. I guess it goes back to my tiger zoo experience in Harbin, China many years ago--the animals were treated so horribly I nearly cried.

That said, the Bronx zoo is one of the best animal facilities in the US and many of these species would probably be extinct or near extinct if it weren't for the programs established by the zoos.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so ironic b/c we almost went to the National Zoo today, but didn't get moving in time. They have a baby panda at the zoo that is SO CUTE from the web can video I've scene...

Mal

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thse are such great pictures, Mona. Our Atlanta Zoo isn't the greatest and it's painful to see the animals. But, I agree, anything we can learn that helps keep the wild safe in the wild is a good thing.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Hello! Thanks for commenting on my blog and for the visit. You are my first blog visit of the day! I will be linking you a little later so I can visit often. You have some neat links here! :)

8:50 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Ilva, I hear you completely. And yah, who needs kids for an excuse? :)

Rose, I would love to see the baby pandas. We always show clips of them at work and I just want one :) Gosh, that zoo in China sounds horrendous. I would have been crying right there along with you. I'll have to look into it if there are animal activists fighting against it. And there was a little history lesson by the American Buffalo park-the guy who founded the Bronx Zoo was directly involved with saving them I think back in the early 1900s. It was really amazing.

Mal, oh no way! Great minds think alike. Have you seen the pandas yet? I should tune into the webcam more often :)

Janice, thanks so much! I was impressed with the pix too, with glass and everything in front of me. My buddy at work said he had the same problem with the tiger pix. Just from reading this comments it seems there are a lot of miserable zoos out there. What can be done I wonder?

Harmonia, thanks for dropping in and leaving a comment. Always fun to get new visitors.

Happy Monday everyone!

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just left a comment on one of your older posts... not sure if you check those. It was the morimoto review :)

2:23 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

oh yes i do usually :) thanks for letting me know though!

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey- just got your comment- i actually got here by way of augie's blog. a friend of mine reads his blog and had sent me a link when we were planning our morimoto visits (two to nyc so far! hoping to go back more)... i was looking at augie's site after posting my own review to compare notes, and saw a comment you had left on his site, ... etc. i love how yours was different too, though with some similarities to the omakase (mid-level) i'd had at morimoto philly. yummy! keep on eating ;)

2:45 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Awesome! Nice pics Mona. It really makes me want to get off my duff and get up there. Funny, I posted a pic of a wild cat on my blog, too, this weekend.

My dad has some amazing animal pics I should show you some time-- some from the Bronx, some from Africa and Alaska.

My weakness is always the red pandas. Holy cuteness....

3:34 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I love the idea of zoo blogging. Very fun. I love to take my nieces and nephews to the zoo in the summer. We go nearly every year, even though Salt Lake doesn't have a super great zoo compared to some bigger cities.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Yvo, oh where are you from? I loved reading augieland's morimoto diary. I want to know what he does to afford however many nights of that bar he had :) Hope you keep coming back to visit.

BC, oooh I can't wait to read your post with the wildcat. Your dad's been to some pretty cool places, wow. I'm dying to go on a safari in Africa.

Kalyn, thanks for visiting. I've missed you. Hope you're doing well. I still owe you a cheese sammich-I promise it's coming soon!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

ohhh snakes i looooove snakes! zoos are so much fun but i always cry when i come to the great cats, it makes me too sad :-$

10:42 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

cat, oh i hear you. i only saw the tigers, no lions, but i think the lions appear to have a pretty big area to play in. so did sasha the tiger thank goodness. the one spot that looked pretty dreary was the bear home :(

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.