Burger Joint
Months ago, my friend from work, SuDokuGal, mentioned getting a group to eat at Le Parker Meridien's Burger Joint. Somehow, none of us motivated to actually pick a day until she finally declared, "Next Wednesday, be there or be square." This is on par with my New York City experience. I'm always "wishin', and hopin', and thinkin', and prayin'" to meet up with certain people, and often it's a matter of mustering up the motivation to pick a date and just do it. After a few months of talking about it (and seeing the enormous picture of the burger on their website), we finally got our act together and made it happen. Needless to say, my stomach was excited all day long. Sayonara diet! Let the extra long weekend of gluttony begin. I figured the wedding weekend would be lots of drinking and eating, so why not get started on Wednesday night?
You walk into the hotel lobby and there's really no telling where BJ is. And they don't help you with signs either. Le Parker Meridien is the type of scene where you'd rather shave the left side of your head than ask someone for directions like a tourist. The bad news is, if you've never been, and nobody else in your party has either, you may just be forced to. My advice to you if you're all clueless, is follow the trail of suits. They're all headed to BJ. Thankfully, SuDokuGal had been before and knew where to go. Phew!
From the looks of the little shanty at 8:30pm, which I wrongly assumed was well past most people's dinnertime, it must not matter what time you get there. The line was out the door and the small cube of a room was packed to the hilt. You have to wait in line, like a fast-food place, and order from the counter. Unlike the Shake Shack, the food came up really fast. SlingerlandMan pointed out once we sat down how awkward the line situation was. It felt like we were being dissected by everyone's eyes. One girl in particular looked me up and down several times, as she chomped away at her burger with her date. I wanted to say some choice words to her, but chose to bite my tongue.
SuDokuGal eventually snagged a two-top with hopes another table would open next to it, and it did. Victory! The three of us who hadn't been to BJ were in constant bewilderment. Who thought of this place? Who thought to put it here? Was the person stoned when they decided to save this corner of the hotel for a shanty burger stop? Who decided, "Oh, let's build a burger shack, write on the walls, cover it with old posters and celebrity pictures, throw some leather booths in there, and call it a day." We discussed this mystery at the dinner table until we left. Norma's, my favorite brunch place on the planet, is also in Le Parker Meridien, but has a completely different feel of opulence in its food and elegance in its surroundings.
The message on Burger Joint's website says it all, "If you don't see it, we don't have it!" They're not trying to be In 'n Out Burger in California, where they have secret passwords to get you special sides and toppings, that only the uber hip surfer kids know. "Animal style," "3x3," "Flying Dutchman," the "Wish Burger," etc. are just a few of the wild and wacky things you can order at In 'n Out. Burger Joint is strictly burger, no secret codes. And that was fine with me.
Now, for the burgers. To me, a burger is the entire package, and not just the meat, that includes the toppings, the bun, and the sauce or dressing, if there is any. They have the meat part down at BJ. But as far as the whole package goes, I was a little disappointed. The bun dissolved in the meat grease, and I had to work hard to hold the burger ($6) together with my hands, without the entire thing collapsing in my lap. It wasn't because of the size of the burger either. The picture on the website is very misleading. The patty itself is not nearly as big as the one they show on the website. The fries ($3) were excellent and came in a little brown bag. They were thin, crispy and just the right saltiness. If the line had died down, I would have gone up for a second bag. SuDokuGal ordered a milkshake ($4.50- they have vanilla, strawberry or chocolate) and the consistency was dead on-not too thick but not too blended. There was a sweaty bin of brownies with a paper sign that read "Don't forget your brownies." From the looks of the container they were in, I chose to forget them.
Don't get me wrong. I love dives and I love grease. And I see myself going back to Burger Joint. It is, however, not at the top of my list of great burger places. I had one that night, but it didn't fill me up. Blackbeard made a good point, you have to get two to make it worth the wait and to really fill your stomach. So head to Burger Joint with a patient, but not ravenous, stomach and an open mind. The atmosphere is enough to make anyone smile.
picture also courtesy of Blackbeard's camera phone
*cash only*
118 W 57th St, between 6th & 7th Ave
15 Comments:
Good to know! I've been meaning to try it for a while - now I won't go on a totally empty stomach (or I'll just stick with my beloved shake shack).
Ha, have you been yet this season? I've only been twice, only eaten a burger once. What's the best time to go, if any? And is it cheaper? I mean, nothing really beats eating outside in the sun vs. a cramped 20x20 (if that) room.
Have you ever had Five Guys?
How was the wedding? Unfortunately, I am already back. IT was only a three night trip:(
Great seeing you and everyone else on Friday!!
Mal
burger joint..did I read about the place in the NYtimes? Another four star chef finds he can make a profit selling spensive burgers.I like mine off my backyard grill.Come on over...sit a spell. We can pop open a cold one. ;)
OMG, Mona...I've eaten there. The last time I came to NY, we stayed at that hotel. It is a little weird how it's situated in the hotel, isn't it? I thought it was temporary! Yes, people do stare -- I felt like I had "tourist" stamped on my butt! But, hey, I'm from Atlanta with big hair and lots of jewelry! Seems like there was a fabulous breakfast place there that had the most marvelous French pressed coffee.
Oh also, what's up w/the girl staring you down? Also i LOVE sudoku!
Mal
Good grief! Here in Little Egg Harbor, that kind of money would buy food for the DAY. Hamburgers run about 5 bucks and that includes the fries and everything else. Charging extra for a PICKLE is just beyond outrageous. You New Yorkers probably all made piles and scads of dough, however...
6$ is a lot for a burger that falls apart in your hands... maybe just a metric ton of those tasty fries next time ;)
glad to see you back chica!
Man, I haven't had a burger in a long time, and I keep trying to explain to the wife that Boca burgers don't count. I think burgers are like pizza, and (deleted), even when they're bad they're good....well, almost anyway...
mmmm grease
I almost hit this place last year because of rave reviews. A burger joint at Le Parker Meridien? I stole an ashtray from the posh room I stayed in there as a kid. Theft aside, glad to know my bypassing the Burger Joint as an adult was the right idea. Great review, Mona!
Mal, no I've never had Five Guys, is that in Arlington? I'll have to remember that the next time I'm down there. I know I've heard of it. I loved the pictures from last weekend-thanks so much! I still have to write it up:) Uhoh, are you a sudoku nut too? Ha, my roommate has all these books on it.
Greg, I love it. Thanks for the invite. I would have to agree with that one...nothing like a home packed and grilled burger and enjoying it in the great outdoors.
Janice, yes, that marvelous place was Norma's. We tried going Friday but it was not happening. I had to be at work at 11 and the place was a zoo.
Mimi, you are too funny. You've got a lot right in your comment except the last part. I wish I made scads of dough:) But yah, I do feel like I am in the minority, for the most part. I'm paid by the hour, and I just saw a posting at a bagel shop that was only paying 3less/hr than what I make...why did I go to college again?!?! Thanks for visiting.
Cat, metric ton of fries-I like the sound of that!
BC, that's hilarious. Wait, so you do a lot of 'cue but no burgers?!? You 'll have to fix that! Ha, and yah, like pizza, you can never get sick of a good patty or slice or (deleted)-ha!!
Bdawg, that's hilarious. I think I know who this is...I'll have to follow up though:) How the heck are you? Good to see you're blogging too!!
Naz, yes...mmm grease!
Paz, Naz and Paz, so cute! Ha;) Ok, cool, so next time I take a trip you can be my sidekick and ask for directions. Why am I so chicken?!
PaigeJennifer, thanks girl! That's so funny you stole an ashtray. Man, when we lived in Europe I would constantly steal the little soap dishes from hotels and when they'd show up at our house in France my parents would be all, "Where the heck did these come from!!?" So you're not alone. We just better not go out anywhere together:)
It is very funny that you went to eat here because i was there pretty recently (3 weeks ago) on my way to an appointment nearby. I've known about this place for years, but until I went to Norma's at LeParker Meridian for a brunch date I didn't realize how much of a hole in the wall it truly was.
I liked the burgers, too, but they weren't so over the top incredible that I'd go back there in a flash. It had flavor and the fries were crisp and tasty, but nothing really spoke out to me. And you're right about the size, I was expecting a much much larger burger. I guess because of this, I decided not to blog about it.
I think I liked the atmosphere best about the place, the signs that dictate HOW you have to order and the 70's era decor. It was kitchy, cute and fun to observe as I ate my burger. I was by myself, so that may explain my fondness for the atmosphere--I had nothing better to do than gaze.
I didn't try the shakes or the brownies, but if i ever go back, I might give them a whirl.
If you're ever in Flushing, try Joe's Burger on mainstreet. While their fries are not bad--I thought BJ's was better--the burgers are delish. And I think a bit bigger than the Burger Joint version.
I have yet to try ShakeShack (yes, I realize I must be the only NY'er who hasn't been there), but I hear good things and some bad things (a number of bloggers have mentioned getting the runs afterwards--not good!)
Btw, brunch at Norma's at LeParker Meridian is absolutely amazing (and I'm about to post about it soon). It was one of the best brunches I've had in years and the pricest.
is it just me or is everyone else suddenly craving burgers? i had no idea about the secret language at In-N-Out. THat is so cool. And scary : [
vanessa, oh really? well i'm glad you learned something fun today:) ha, i know, burgers are the craaaaaaaze. especially the sliders. everyone's serving them these days.
Post a Comment
<< Home