Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Fresh Direct

Swimster and I are going on a spring diet together (maybe you've noticed the restaurant reviews have slowed down a bit). He has a new job starting in a couple of months (London here he comes!) and he needs to buy himself a new work wardrobe. Who wants to buy new clothes when you have a little extra padding? Not me! As for me, I have a friend's wedding next weekend in Charlottesville and I want to fit into my favorite Kathlin Argiro floral dress from last spring.

Part of the dieting process, besides exercising (I just went on a run all around Central Park and it is so beautiful outside I didn't want to stop), is building a healthy kitchen cabinet and making your own meals. I try to do both on a regular basis but have gotten myself into a whole wheat spaghetti and oatmeal rut and decided to add a few more options to my make-at-home meals. I don't get out of work until 8 o'clock, so by the time I get home and make myself dinner it's already 9 o'clock. And I know eating that late, especially if it's carbs, is not a good idea.

I don't seem to ever have time to go grocery shopping so I decided to go with Fresh Direct.

My shopping list:

2 packs, Amy's Organic Veggie Burgers
1 bag, frozen garden veggie blend
1 can, refried black beans
5 cans, solid white tuna fish
1 loaf, whole wheat bread
16 oz, Fresh Direct freshly ground peanut butter
2 bags, oven roasted turkey
1 container, low fat cottage cheese
1 package, sliced Swiss cheese

All this came out to a total of $40.57 + shipping charge is $4.95 = grand total of $46.31.

I know, this list is devoid of any fresh produce, fish, and poultry. But sadly, I'm on a debt diet too, so I have to pinch where I can. Overall, I am extremely satisfied with my FD experience. The all natural freshly ground peanut butter is incredible. I picked the delivery to come between the hours of ten and noon and the young smiling guy showed up at 10:01. When does that ever happen? Last time I called Cable Guy he showed up after his four hour grace period. I wonder what other people think of Fresh Direct. If some of you have never heard of it, I see Fresh Direct trucks around the city more than I see FedEx or UPS trucks. They are delivering pounds and pounds of neatly packed cardboard boxes to homes all over the city at all hours of the day.

Here was my package of healthy treats.



And here's the highlight of my purchase: thick, crunchy peanut butter I could sit and eat all day with a spoon and a smile.



Now, let's see how long this food lasts me...

31 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very healthy shopping list, Mona! I've seen Amy's burgers at my local health food store, but have never tried them -- I take it they have the Mona's Apple stamp of approval, given that you've bought two boxes?

The peanut butter looks delish. I can't remember the last time I bought the "regular" grocery store kind, loaded with sugar and hydrogenated oils and salt. Natural pb tastes sooooo good!

I'm so jealous that you can run! My stupid plantar fasciitis is taken so long to heal (or heel? heh heh) and I'm just itching to hit the road again. Well, until then I will live vicariously through you!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

My one huge problem with Fresh direct: all those boxes and the extra packaging are so very wasteful!
Good luck with the healthy eating: your grocery list sounds delicious!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Nazca said...

I get some of my cupboard stuff delivered because I'm lazy. I signed up with a national supermarket chain a while ago. The first few times my delivery was minutes after my 2 hours slot began, after that it got progressively later until now it almost always arrives late. That would really irk me if I had a life and had something to do at 9.05 on a tuesday night.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck with the healthier eating. i've had ups and downs with work obligations, crazy schedules and sheer laziness, though lately I have been pretty good. your shopping list is a testament to the committment though. Just think of htat dress!

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) You def. don't need to lose any weight!
2) YOU FREAKIN ORDER YOUR GROCERIES? Mona, you have got to be kidding me!
3)Whose wedding is this in Cville? Is it next weekend (as in the 8th)? I will be in Mexico otherwise I would come have a few shots w/you!
Love,
Malibu

7:13 PM  
Blogger Kate Croft said...

Nupur's right...not only does Fresh Direct require a lot of additional wasteful packaging (much of which isn't recyclable), it requires the extra energy and fuel to bring it to your door. You live in New York City--it's not as though you live in the suburbs and would be driving your groceries home anyway. A big component of some of the companies you're purchasing from (like Amy's) is environmental sustainability!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

One of my friends lives in New York and she uses Fresh Direct all the time. She raves about it. (And Mona, I am not a member of the environmental police. After all, I use energy driving all around town to go to various stores. We all have the right to make our own choices.)

Peace.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Ilva said...

Diet=peanut butter with a spoon straight from the container? That's all I 'm going to say...today.

3:29 AM  
Blogger Butterbemme said...

I think exapt the peanut butter the list sounds healthy. I my eyes, peanut butter includes to much fat and sugar for being healthy. I don't like it. But anyway a food deliverer is a good thing. It's pity, that no services like that exist in my area.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Tania, I have to admit I bought them hoping they'd be good. I will let you know:) I was a huge fan of Whole Foods' peanut butter maker but felt I couldn't afford this anymore. When I saw the price of FD's I had to get it. I hope your feet get better, the weather's warming up here I just have to make sure I don't go too far too soon and injure myself:)

Nupur, I had heard about the insane packaging but my stuff came in a plain cardboard box-no excess stuff inside. I was expecting it to be way worse. And let's just hope my putting it in the recycle bin actually means it'll be recycled. Can't wait to dig into my first turkey sandwich today for lunch.

Naz, ha, funny your guys seem to be on the late train. That stinks. I wouldn't be able to deal with that...

Vanessa, Thanks for the good luck wishes. That dress is on my mind!!!!!!

Mal, ha, you're funny. Thanks!! It's miss Julie's wedding. Insane, right? I can't believe you're off to Mexico, holy moly! Where where? My roommate just got back from Playa del Carmen.

Thanks Kate for your eco-friendly insight.

Kalyn, thanks so much for your comment:) I really appreciate it -and especially the part about not being environmental police. Yikes;)

Ilva, ha! I love it. Well, peanut butter is a small weakness I have. I'll skip dessert but I'll take a spoon of fresh peanut butter anyday.

BB, don't forget fat is sometimes good for you :) The kind in natural peanut butter is! And there's no sugar in it either, unlike some of the store-bought brands.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

Mona,

I wrote you a long comment about FD last night. Really long and very detailed. Now it's not here! That's frustrating...I don't have the time to respond again, but I'll try soon.

12:45 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

I looove fresh direct - enjoy the healthy eating!

2:04 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

Hey mona,
I've been thinking about doing the FD thing since I moved to nyc. I don't think people in other cities/places realize what a challenge it can be to get quality produce, meat and dairy here in the apple. For one thing, unless you live within walking distance of a good place you're going to have to limit yourself to a light load or pay for a taxi or car service. So many grocery stores in my area have crappy produce (stacks and stacks of completely wilted lettuce for example,) or extremely expensive organics. In Seattle I turned up my nose at big chains like QFC or Fred Meyer. Now I'd kill to have a store that well stocked and affordable near me.

Please let me know how fresh direct works out for you.

I just joined the Park Slope Food Coop. I'll still have to pay for a car service if I can't carry it all on the bus or subway, but at least I'll be saving money on organic and healthy food. I'm shopping there for the first time today- we'll see how it goes!

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go, girl! Nothing inspires like a dress you love but can't quite stuff yourself into. I find it's more a mental thing with me -- I have to get my mind totally off of food (very hard). Then, I grill up about 4 chicken breasts Sunday night and eat from that all week with lettuce and lemon/olive oil dressing. For variety, I might add spinach, red peppers, or steamed broccoli. Not fancy and very boring, but I dropped 10 lbs. I find if I try to stay in a "gourmet/foodie" frame of mind, I get too caught up in trying to the make the food exciting or fun which only adds time and calories. Just eat and be done. Good luck, Mona!

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mona,

What a great post! It's so interesting to read about Fresh Direct and the products you got from them.

The peanut butter ... so good!

10:39 PM  
Blogger Coodence said...

Fresh Direct is great. Specially for those of use living in Ma-hattan b/c the stores here are often gross/disgusting and the prices are ridick.

When I lived in the village, they were never (never? never!) late, but in Hells Kitchen they sometimes arrive a little behind schedule. That peanut butter can't be beat, though, and lean cuisines are 2 for five dollars. Their coffee beans (sumatra) are also good and affordable.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Melissa, well so far i'm extremely happy with my FD purchases. I'm just excited to see how long the stash lasts me, then I'll really be able to tell you how good it is. I've never heard of the Park Slope Food Coop-that sounds great! Let me know how you end up liking it. Or maybe you'll be writing it on your blog and I'll tune in. Thanks for dropping a message!

Janice, I LOVE this philosophy of yours. And I completely agree, the simplest meals is the easiest way to drop the pounds. It's all about no frills:)

Ivonne, thanks :) Had a spoonful of the PB this mornin'. Gets me goin, like that spoonful of sugar from Mary Poppins-ha!

Coodence, I'm so glad to hear about the lean cuisines! 2 for 5?! I didn't even think to check those out. Mmm, will have to do that next time, that's so easy and cheap- especially for a work meal. I wonder why my guy was so on time, I must have been at the top of the literal food chain-ha;)

11:40 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Rose and Mebeth, oh no didn't mean to leave you guys out. Rose, I hear you. I haaaaaaaaaate when you take the time to write out a long thoughtful comment and something goes wrong. I'm so sorry! ICK computers ICK!

Mebeth, I'm tryin' to enjoy the healthy eating:) So far so good, minus some mini Reese's at work!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Jn said...

I tried FreshDirect only once. The products were good, plus much cheaper and better quality than those from the Food Emporium. On the other hand, their packaging was insane: they delivered 3 boxes, all of them half empty! What a waste! Maybe they have changed their policy and I should try again.

About running in Central Park: I agree, it is perfect weather, I have just started my running season! Hey, btw I remember you said you wanted to sign up for the nyc marathon. Is it still on your list? I am personnally very tempted to sign up. It's just a little bit scary... Still once month to decide...

And thanks for the comments on my blog again :-)

1:43 PM  
Blogger Butterbemme said...

ha, Mona, your are right, fat is what I need (or just more weight). But I just don't like peanut butter.
Is it possible that peanut butter is an american thing? I Germany it is not so popular! Or I'm thinking to stereotype ;-)

2:02 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Okay, I'm going to attempt to re-write my very long reply to your post. The one that didn't appear yesterday.

I've been a FD customer for at least 3 years. I joined when they offering $50 off your first order (with no minimum amount needed). I have always felt their produce and groceries are both priced better than my local supermarkets and are fresher too.

Fairway is the only supermarket in the city that I can compare freshness quality to FD. But although NYC is a pretty tight compact place to live, you only have two hands/arms and can carry only so much. If you have to ride the subway to and from the supermarket (like many do for fairway), going up and down the stairs can be a real drag. Sure, you can get those little metal carts, but have you tried getting through the subway stations?

Having fresh produce delivered to my door is a real help IMO. I cook a lot and even more now with my food blog (I have to keep it up!), so i need to buy a lot of heavier items (canned goods and flour). Carrying them from even a few blocks is difficult, but getting them delivered is a real save on my time and energy.

I think Kalyn makes a good point about the amount of energy and gas consumed by suburban shoppers in order to get their groceries. Compared to this, FD's delivery trucks are comparable. I read recently that FD is trying to find better trucks that are more efficient in their refrigeration system.

Sure, there's a lot of cardboard. Especially if you don't order that much, but they are packed in different boxes. Bloomberg (the mayor for all non-NY'ers) keeps changing the darn recycling programs, so I don't know if cardboard is still recycled here. However, whenever my building puts out the recycling in those blue bags, the cardboard is usually right next to it in clear bags. Does this mean they are recycled? I have no idea. Anyone know?

But I think the benefits of FD outweight the amount of waste it may produce.

Here are some of my fav products from FD:

1. Par baked cibatta rolls-pop em into the oven and you got fresh hot bread!

2. fish- real fresh

3. Sharon's Sorbets (sure you can get this elsewhere, but it's cheaper here and it's delivered to your door so it doesn't melt in the spring/summer weather)

Have fun with your next order!

11:38 PM  
Blogger Cate said...

I wish we had Fresh Direct here, but I did hear they're crossing the water to Hoboken, so maybe they'll creep their way up to us. In the meantime, just placed my order with Shop Rite . . . so worth the money for someone else to lug all our groceries up 30 steps to the front door!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Francesca said...

I am a HUGE fan of Fresh D. My weekly order ensures that I cook and eat well throughout the week...

Regarding the peanut butter debate, have you ever tried almond butter instead? It's delicious and supposed to be a little better for you. Almonds are rich in vitamin E, vitamin B12, selenium and fiber. I always have a jar of creamy almond butter in the fridge.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun! I forgot J. was getting married so soon! I'm in Cville now-cake tasting today, meeting w/the minister tomorrow. I just had a Wild Turkey from Little John's, AND arch's! Definitely not diet-friendly, but worth it I think!

Have fun at the wedding next weekend! Is there a good group of swimmers going (Kfo, Greek Goddess etc.)?

Malibu

11:55 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Jn, of course! I wish I was as outdoorsy as you are. I am still hoping to run the marathon yes, but I found out the group I signed up for only makes me eligible for certain NEXT year. So this year I have to go thru the lottery. It's a bummer b/c it's so expensive. Keep me posted what you decide and I'll do the same. Thanks for stopping by! It's been a while:)

BB, I can't answer that but I think from my days living in France we couldn't get it. Yes, probably an American thing :)

Paz, that's so funny. Yah, tiptop shape, not sure about THAT but we're trying...

Rose, I loved your insightful comments about each and every thing. Thanks so much for rewriting them- that must have been such a pain. I actually made a comment on FD's site and am eagerly awaiting their response. Just because it seems so many people are turned off by the packaging, I want to help them out and see what the purpose is behind it. I wish someone did a documentary of some sort on the garbage/recycling in this city. I'm usually surprised by the amount of people who appear to be recycling, I'm wondering if it all actually IS being recycled or if it's a hoax...I read an article about a woman who actually hopped along with her garbagemen for a day and was quite shocked at her discoveries. I want to follow the recycling guys :) I can't wait to try the sorbets-sound excellent! And I love popping dough in the oven and getting fresh bread. I know, I 'm a cheater.

Cate, oh my goodness, Shop Rite? I have a newfound love for Shop Rite. I had no idea they delivered. We used to never go to the one in Connecticut until they totally revamped one on the Post Road into a Super Shop Rite and it's really beautiful now.

Francesca, you're so right about almond butter. I actually LOVE it, and for some reason have totally forgot about it! I used to get it all the time from Whole Foods, what am I thinking? I have to check right now to see if FD has almond butter. GOOD CALL :) Thanks for visiting!

Mal, oh my goodness TakeItAway, I miss that place so much! And their house dressing?! MMmmm! I love it Arch's and wedding cake testing. That's awesome! Yes, it will be the usual partners in crime: KFo, GreekGoddess, Fashionista and who knows what other cool people we'll run into. Will you be around DC next Friday night?!?!?

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mona! Groceries delivered to your front door? How wonderful! Your goodies sound scrumptious...especially the peanut butter! Good luck to you and swimster on your new regimen! :)

11:43 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Joey, thanks girlfriend! How have you been? Yah, the peanut butter was my treat, and I honestly have yet to put it on a slice of bread, I keep eating it with a spoon :)

11:26 AM  
Blogger Jn said...

Regarding groceries in Manhattan, I've just heard about something new that could be great news.

Trader Joe's has just opened its first NYC store in Union Square. I don't know if they deliver, but they are supposed to have excellent organic products at reasonable prices. Even a nice Californian wine at $1.99 a bottle. Unbelievable! It's like the price in France!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Jn, I know man, it is great about Trader Joes, it's just Union Square is the other side of the planet for me from where I live. I can't really go there and stock up and make it home without my arms and fingers falling off. I'm poor and can't afford cabfares. I take maybe one cab a week, if that :)But if you go do tell me what you think. When I'm in CA or CT, I always stop in to Trader Joe's for their 2buck Chuck, which is now 3 dollars or so, but is still drinkable to me!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Michael Mahle said...

nice work. I'm on a Spring diet as well and have also reviewed fewer restaurants as a result.

I have yet to give Fresh Direct a try but I may give it a shot yet. There's just something fun about picking your own produce.

Talk to you soon.

M

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wont use freshdirect ever again after they forgot to bring my turkey wednesday. thanks for nothing FD

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.