Thursday, April 06, 2006

A Dinner Party


K.Adler and her husband invited us over for a dinner party last weekend and it was a huge treat. I guess I'm in the "in- between" phase of life where some friends are married, some are not, but most don't think to have dinner parties. A hint to any of my friends reading this, a la "Field of Dreams," organize it and I will come. If I had a big enough apartment with a full-sized dining room table, I would be hosting dinner parties once a week.

Dinner started with a refreshing and much needed cocktail, made by LeMec, with his signature liqueur Chambord. To accompany the cocktails, we had crisps and cheese. I think one couple brought a couple varieties and Swimster brought some as well (we decided to do the wine and cheese duo, he brought cheese from Murray's Cheese shop and I brought a South African red wine from Morrell's). I'm not sure who to thank for this, but there was a small square of quince on the cheeseboard. I had never had it before and found it a sweet topping with the cheese and crackers. I will now be in search of quince in each and every grocery store, maybe they even have it at FreshDirect.

After the cocktails and cheese we moseyed to the dining room table. Here we enjoyed a colorful salad with strawberries and onions and Blue Ribbon Bakery vinaigrette, green beans, roasted potatoes, blue cheese-crusted steaks (the steaks were from FreshDirect I should add), and to end the evening, an incredible apple and blackberry crumble.

Click here for the recipe. It was one of the best crumbles I've ever had, and may have even topped my mom's version of Ina Garten's apple crumble. I hope Mom's not reading this. Instead of oatmeal, the crumble in this dessert is simply flour, butter and sugar. It is amazing and I highly recommend this for anyone looking for a sweet treat. Make it for yourself, which I fully intend on doing, or bring it to your next party.

(K.Adler's note: double the butter in any cooking light recipe:)

Enjoy! And thanks so much to K.Adler and LeMec for such a special evening!

6 Comments:

Blogger s'kat said...

Double the butter, double your pleasure, right? I just love a good crumble.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Butterbemme said...

Oh yes, dinner parties are very nice. Meet friends, eat, drink, talk, play games and at the end be drunk ;-)
You can also cook together the food you wanna eat. That's fun too.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Nazca said...

Sounds like an all-you-can-eat buffet to me, time to go wiiiild! Explains why I don't invites :-(

My mum always makes crumble topping with flour... and because my mum is the best mum in the whole wide world that's the way to do it! :-P

:-D

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUM!!! I LOVE BLUE CHEESE SMOTHERED STEAKS! AND everything else she served. Did she make all that? I feel really jipped that I lived with you both for two years and never got one cooked meal...

Can you still meet up tomorrow? Maybe like 5:00 somewhere? Ballston area? I dyed eggs w/Laramie yesterday and she said might come too!

6:14 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

S'kat, that is absolutely right:)

BB, eat drink and meet friends. That sounds like a song. We didn't cook together this time but I like the thought.

Naz, ha, how about your share your mum's recipe with the rest of the WHOLE WIDE WORLD, eh? I'd really like that :)

Mal, headin out in an hour or so-woohoo! Yah, that'd be awesome. We'll just be chillin' at Kori's apartment for a while while she's finishing up at work. I'll call you when we get there. What time are you off of work?

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Mona!

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.