Sunday, November 13, 2005

Fulton Fish Market


A New York City landmark closes permanently Friday. Of course I understand the new regulations on keeping the fishies in a cooled environment, but just bummed I never experienced the craziness of the Fulton Fish Market in the wee small hours of the morning:

"Big guys ain't supposed to cry, but a part of old New York is dying here today," said Joey Centrone, one of the workers at the market. "I recognize this place is antiquated, but it's a part of us."

Click here to read full USA Today article.

10 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

There opening a brand new one too aren't they?

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh! The Fulton fish market. Well, it's closing in the city, but it's not gone forever. They've just moved to the Bronx. It's a good opportunity to go down there if you really want to experience them. Same craziness (I'm sure), different location.

What I love about NYC is that you can still experience the same thing in many different places. There are so many different fish markets -- big and small... landmark and non landmarked... Have you been to the Chinatown fish market... or the one in Spanish Harlem...

Paz

12:00 AM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Yep, I was kind of sad about the closing (not that I often frequent the market). But a clean, corruption free fish market is a good thing, I guess.

But Paz - you're right - there are so many great food spots in NY to explore!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Greg, oh yes, so maybe I will have to check that one out.

*Paz, no I haven't been to the one in Chinatown. I will put that on my to do list. And not the one in Spanish Harlem either. I didn't even know there was one. Isn't that pathetic? Thanks for the recs.

*Mebeth, yah, I was reading about Giuliani vs. the mob and very fascinating. GO RUDY! haaa :)

12:56 PM  
Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Sorry Mona, yes it is sad but I guess times change. I have a nice fish market here and somehow that makes my life more bearable.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*G-G, how are you doing? Thanks for stopping by. I'm sure you have markets galore in Italy, I remember the marches of France and I so wish the States would get into the habit. What are they called in Italy?

9:13 PM  
Blogger Michael Mahle said...

This stinks. I was going to go on Friday night at 4am. I didn't realize it had closed this past weekend. Shoot.

Thanks though for the head's up.

MM

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love going to fish markets early in the morning. I've been to Tsukiji (sp?) Market in Japan, Pike's in Seattle, and also Chinatown in SF. They all are neat places at 5am in the morning. Too bad I missed this one, hopefully the new one will hold some of the magic.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Badge, d'oh! Glad I gave you the heads up, or else you would have been all alone at the old market : )

*Easyeats, I'm definitely hoping for some of that magic. Thanks for writing. Sounds like you've built yourself up a nice fish market repertoire!! I'm impressed.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Term Papers said...

This picture is old fish market of New York,There are standing two people's in a shop.Its looks funny guy.





Term papers

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.