Monday, August 08, 2005

Uva

Winette had been telling me to go to Uva since I moved to the upper east side. Funny it took me moving to the upper west side to finally try it. What a gem among the unexciting places in the 70s of the Upper East Side. Uva has a warm cozy candlelit interior and makes you feel like you're in an old wine cellar (and if you stay at Uva for too long you might want to crawl into the wine cellar).

I went with my good friend Fashionista and got a great seat outside on the sidewalk..luckily the old man next to us left shortly after we were seated, his groanings were quite bizarre...Friendly waitress brought us menus and we quickly ordered sangria (I had heard from a friend it was good here). The huge bordeaux glasses were filled almost to the brim with ice and fruit and the best sangria I've ever drank...and 2 glasses later I was WELL over-buzzed.

Our choices for dinner were goat cheese bruschetta and porcini mushroom focaccia bread (came out like a mini pizza pie with the mushroom spread in the middle). Both were excellent, and we shared a chicken and grape salad. If I still lived on the UES I would eat at Uva regularly, but now at least I know when I go over to visit friends that's the place to go.

Learned from Winette after it was too late that they actually have a garden in the back, so next time you or I go we'll have to request to be sat in the garden.

1486 Second Ave. (Upper East Side), between 77th and 78th
212-472-4552

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.