Monday, August 08, 2005

Le Bilboquet

Met my fab engaged friends Carebear and 007 here for dinner. I have to admit I was a little intimidated by the French maitre-d' but as soon as I snapped back at him in his native tongue he simmered down. We had reservations (fab folk never go eat anywhere without them), but they still insisted on making us wait. My brief assessment of the place..good but snobby food for snobby people. I think the crowd was a little too high on themselves, and we the younger crew definitely got some looks, as though we hadn't fully deserved our stripes to be seated and eat there yet. This was the only annoyance. The other was that the place is extremely small, almost too small for the large Riedel wine glasses, bottles, and large entrees. It's amazing we made it out without something spilling. It seems to be a trend though, the smaller the place the more people want to go.

I have to admit monsier maitre-d', the food was superbe...go for the moules (not too salty), steak au poivre, endive salad was excellent, beef carpaccio, cajun chicken, and the steak tartare, not in that order of course.

You will pay a pretty penny for the food here, not for service and friendliness, which makes it even more of a typical French restaurant....make sure you pack your smallest purse ladies! and gents, bring the fat wallets.

25 E 63rd St. (Btwn Madison & Park Ave)
212-751-3036

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This place is pretentious, snuby, and so unfriendly. Why would anyone want to go eat to a pretentious unfreindly place?? I would never come back there. It's too small, I had to hold my purse on my legs. Ladies- bring a clutch. The hostess is so pretentious, she actually spoke French to us!! What de... She then made us wait... even though tables were available. What happened to smiling and welcoming people who want to pay top $$$$ for food here?? It reminds you of Europe, because there they don't care about Business as much.. I am no stranger to hip places... and hang out with a crowd of people who might be seen there. But I felt uncomfortable the whole time I was there. I know I am not the only one. It's the atmosphere that is NOT pleasant. The Hostess - is this woman with hair in her face and a very snubby attitude. FUUUU!!!

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.