Monday, August 08, 2005

Cafe Gitane

Not sure what to categorize this restaurant under...I think light French / Moroccan works.
Small bar area with seating to its left ( not a lot of tables) and some outdoor/streetside seating...service was very friendly. If you're about 5 or 6 ask to be put in the front by the window...everyone will be hating you for the rest of the night for the best seats in the house.
Very bright open feel, big windows, with lime green furniture giving it a summery airy feel...I've never been to Spain or Morocco but what I would imagine finding there is a restaurant with Gitane's decor..
I wouldn't go here expecting to be filled on rich large portions of food...but rather to meet friends, sip on wine and share appetizers-one of my favorite pasttimes...definitely share the ginger sliced carrots, hummus, and get your very own prosciutto salad...it's served with fresh prosciutto and honeydew, and a warm fresh foccacia slice with a spicey mustard/parmesan spread that is to DIE FOR...I wanted to know what was in it, how they made it, if i could just ask for more bread...
Try this place, especially during the summertime, when you want some fresh healthy food and some nice chilled white wine. They only serve beer and wine, so instead of after-dinner drinks go for their yummy cappucinos and coffees.
And definitely plan on getting there early or you'll wait and wait and wait...

242 Mott St. (SoHo/NoHo/Little Italy)
212-334-9552

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.