Thursday, April 22, 2010

Make Meaning

Day 64 (Monday) of the T-90 Project:

I was struggling to find something new to do on Monday. As I've mentioned previously, Mondays are my day of rest, and being on the wagon and trying to eat healthy leading up to the marathon have hindered my post-work activities.

I attempted to go to Cafe Lalo, where Tom Hanks found Meg Ryan reading "Pride and Prejudice" in "You've Got Mail," but I walked out quickly after learning they are cash only. I hope to get back. A few blocks north I stumbled upon a make-it-yourself pottery place and I thought, "Perfect!"

I've made my mom a plate here and there for mother's day. I loved making pottery as a teenager (I even won an award for it once in high school). Some may say I'm beyond the acceptable age to paint my mom something from this kind of place -- the other patrons were about two feet tall and screaming paint colors -- but they had piggy banks just waiting for a home.

My mom is obsessed with picking up pennies off the ground. We've gone over and over the little ditty about which side is good luck and she doesn't care. Heads up? It's hers. Tails up? It's also hers. Goodness knows where she puts them all, but I decided a few weeks ago I'd give her an option. Like mom, like daughter, I too have grown accustomed to picking up pennies (only if they're heads up, however) and also feel the need to put them in a safe place. The highlight of my penny collecting comes when I pick one up from the year I was born. I've now found two 1979 pennies in the past couple of months. Sounds like those ought to be extra lucky, no?

The store had run out of the piggy banks in the size that I wanted, so the nice woman said she'd go ahead and order me two more and I could come and paint them the first week in May. I was so excited I discovered this place I chose a mug and decided to go to town in honor of the Apple. I was a little nervous how it'd come out, but with a few practice sketches on a pad of paper from my purse I'd say it came out just right. You?



UWS Location: 506 Amsterdam Ave., between 84th and 85th Streets
212.579.5575

1 Comments:

Anonymous Janice said...

That's neat....is that prefired? It will be the perfect thing for your desk in LA.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.