Whole Foods Comes to the Wild Upper West
Last night I took a personal day from going out and decided to catch up on life. I find something oddly soothing about cleaning and organizing my junk. I went on a run to sweat out some of this week's toxins and in between loads of laundry I took a walk down to Whole Foods. I'm on a spending diet so I didn't want to go full-on food shopping, but I wanted to explore the new store and pick up a few treats.
As I headed down Columbus' slight incline to 100th Street past the projects, I couldn't make out the sidewalk. Hordes of people sped in and out of Whole Foods. Where were all these people coming from? It's normally a ghost town between 97th and 104th and the only one who hears me singing out loud to my iTunes is the lone construction worker or security guard watching over the new empty apartment buildings. It seemed fake, as though these people were extras on a movie set.
I walked in and felt like a kid in F.A.O. Schwartz for the first time. My eyes popped out of my head as I soaked it all in and grabbed a dual-acting basket. I could carry it with me down the escalator while I could also wheel it around once it got heavier. Heaven.
"Allelujah! I've been waiting for this for years!" I said to a woman welcoming shoppers.
"That's great to hear, we're happy to finally be here."
Disclaimer: I never go to the Columbus Circle Whole Foods. It's too crowded and daunting. The amenities I'm describing in this Whole Foods may be old hat to some of you, but to me it's new so please bear with me if I seem a bit excited.
My first stop was the bread counter. I asked the bread girl if they had any bread with cheese in it - the Whole Foods in Arlington, Va., that K-Fo and I used to frequent had this incredible cheddar cheese bread. She looked at me cross-eyed so I settled for a half-loaf of rosemary bread. I had a few slices at home and it was soft and delicious.
I decided to start downstairs and make my way up. The seafood and butcher are on the lower level, along with all the produce, some frozen foods, the health and spa section and cereals, snacks, etc.
"Umm, miss you can't take pictures of our products."
"I'm sorry, I'm covering the opening..." I said, as I kept walking. Yeah. I'm that girl. The clothes were awfully cute, but really necessary? Whole Foods is a few steps from turning into France's Carrefour.
I picked up some avocados, crackers, frozen faux-chicken patties then made my way upstairs.
Past the bakery is the beer and cheese section. I walked towards the back to the beer fridge and sampled a shot of Kasteel cru. It was a beer/champagne concoction that I thoroughly enjoyed. According to the rep it has more alcohol than light beers and with one bottle purchased you scored a free glass. Yes please.
I noticed some beer taps and the friendly beer guy Ricardo informed me I could grab an empty jug and fill 'er up full service style. I love this place.
Unfortunately, I took a few more photos but Blogger wasn't cooperating last night so I will have to add them to this post at a later date. Mind you, with each shot I took, the Whole Foods staff hounds were on me like soy sauce on sushi.
"Um, miss you can't take pictures in here."
"Um, sir, I'm covering the opening."
"For what news organization?"
"Mo-....uh... ABC News?"
"Oh, well, that's great, but you'll have to go through our media coordinator to get press credentials."
"Yeah... uh... of course. I'll do that..." I rolled my eyes without actually rolling my eyes.
I swerved my way into one of the three lines that fed into the cashier pool. I felt like I was in the security line at JFK Thanksgiving weekend.
"Checkout 27 is open." Red lights would go off. Man with two baskets scurried off to go pay.
"Checkout 5 is open." Red lights would go off. Woman and her daughter almost tripped over their carry-on grocery luggage.
"Checkout 9 is open." Red lights went off. The robot's voice with the help of a human's hand ushered me to check out.
I was thoroughly impressed with the beauty of Whole Foods. It was so spacious and spread out I never felt like I couldn't get to what I wanted. I was picturing a scene out of Filene's Basement's running of the brides and I found nothing of the sort. While I do believe staying out of places like Whole Foods is probably better for my bottom line(s), I will return. Everything in moderation, right? Next up? The wine store.



8 Comments:
What the hell is the big deal about taking pictures? I truly don't get it!
i have NO idea. it was like i was snapping pix of a nuclear facility in iran or something. i'm like really? i can't take pictures of an ORANGE?! so lame.
I have a very big hot button when it comes to people asking me not to take pictures in a public place.It is more than lame it's stupid. Press credential my butt!It's free advertising silly.Most forward thinking companies are blogging and tweeting about themselves in hopes others will do the same. Welcome to the digital age Whole Foods!
I began reading this post and was going to ask about taking pictures. I once only took my camera out of my bag and had barely turned it on, was *just* starting to frame a shot when someone came running over like I was in a museum and had just pushed my finger through Mona Lisa's face or something. It really irked the crap out of me. It's a supermarket. What trade secrets am I stealing?
In high school, for art class, I did a photo spread set in a local grocery store and, per my teacher, asked for (and was granted) permission. Sadly, they should have said no because it made me realize how filthy the joint was.
Anyway, I'm officially jealous. This makes my local Wholefoods look like a 7-11.
yeh whole foods. also known as whole paycheck!
I passed the new Whole Foods a couple of times this month. Surprised to see it there in that location. I don't go to the one on Columbus Circle. As you pointed out, too crowded and daunting. Last time I was at Columbus Circle and took photos, I was told not to. Too bad I wasn't quick-thinking like you. ;-)
When I was taking photos at Citerella, I was told the same thing, too. What's with these guys? *sigh*
Paz
greg, free advertising - exactly!
yvo, i love the mona lisa comment. hilarious. and yeah, seriously. i should have been like, yeah i'm coming up with an idea to rival whole foods... give me a break.
pj, i'm sure that's not the case. though funny, nonetheless. if you saw the blocks right above it (projects) you'd be shocked they opened it up here. but i feel lucky/happy to have it a stone's throw from my pad.
loonyx (aka my brother), yeah... i'll have to be a little choosy about when i really go and drop money on the food there.
paz, weird! citarella?! everyone needs to take themselves a little less seriously is my theory.
Post a Comment
<< Home