Friday, August 07, 2009

Julie Powell: Love Her or Hate Her


Whew!

Why do I always get so nervous sending a story to our editors? I feel like the kid in high school who had to sit at the desk while the teacher edited a lousy attempt at an essay. Scary. You can color it in red all you want, I just don't want to sit here and watch you do it.

I just published my hard-hitting opinion piece for ABC News on the Julie Powell love-hate phenomenon. Please let me know what you think.

I'm off to the Jersey Shore with my lovely roomies FoxyLady and LarchmontLass. Hold down the sunny, concrete jungle while I'm gone. Oh and cheers to a great Friday and an even greater weekend.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Janice said...

Your article covered it all. I found it accidently -- googling for reviews so I could decide if I wanted to brave the opening night crowds. Then as I kept reading the entire thing (still not knowing the author), I read the line "when I started my own blog" etc etc. Holy moly....It's Monica! How fantastic. What a treat for me. I never read Julie's blog, so I'm out of the loop on that, but I loved "My Life in France" and look forward to reading it again.
PS -- you should not be so nervous about your writing. The style is easy, funny, conversational -- very good!

1:59 PM  
Blogger creampuff said...

No need to be nervous, Mona! It was a great article!

11:19 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

I read your article earlier but didn't know it was you.Nicely done!Have a great weekend.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great commentary - and I am one who has no time for Julie Powell. No, I am not a food blogger, but someone who actually sent her a donation during the time she was writing her blog (yes, she asked for donations). I never got so much as a "thanks" and when I commented on her blog about this, my comment never got posted. Ungrateful wretch.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

janice, so glad you found my story and enjoyed it! and thanks for the compliments. hope your screen-writing is going well. i'm dying to read "my life in france." it's going to be my next book after i finish krakauer's "banner of heaven."

creampuff, thanks so much for helping out with my story!

greg, that's so funny you too were reading not knowing it was me. i hope you were pleasantly surprised;) it's high time i move to your time zone already. whadya say?

anon, WOW! i seem to vaguely remember her asking for donations. that's so absurd. i would never in a million years consider doing that unless i was the head of robin hood or the ocrf and all contributions went to charity. UNREAL. thanks for reading and hope you come back.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

janice, i'm an idiot, disregard the screenwriting comment. i have another friend janice and i neglected to click on the profile to see who it was. happy to see you're doing well!! i miss me some baker bites!

10:42 AM  
Blogger central bark designs said...

Great post. Saw the movie. Never read Powell's book or blog - HUGE Julia fan (ok - her photo is in my kitchen - watching over all - and a constant reminder that it about the FOOD! And the passion of preparing a great meal for your friends and family.)

I've added your blog to my blogroll on Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of BACON!

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job on your op-piece.

Paz

2:56 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

cbd, thanks wendy i will do the same!

paz, thanks so much. that means a lot coming from a fellow food blogger.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Jean said...

So, did you write more after you saw the movie? Never having met Julie Powell, I don't know how accurate Amy Adams' portrayal of her was, but Amy is very likeable. Having met Julia, I found Meryl Streep's portrayal of her astounding. Read My Life in France, did not read Julie's book. Enjoyed your article very much.

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.