Beach Bachelorette
My friend BermudaBabe is getting married two weeks from today. At this time two Saturdays from now, I will be at home in Conn., hanging out with my parents and FoxyLady, eating some donuts and scones my dad bought at the local grocery store, showing off our beautiful fuchsia bridesmaid dresses, helping my mom pick out her wedding outfit, and attempting to put on some makeup to match my new Montauk tan.
I love weddings. If I could, I would go to a wedding every weekend. I'd make the perfect wedding crasher. I love food, I love to dance, I love to sing, I love to drink, I love cake and most of all I love the people weddings bring together. Weddings are always a reunion of sorts: of families, of college friends, of high school friends, of co-workers, of teammates, of past lovers, of current lovers, the young and the old. Ridiculousness always seems to work its way into a wedding weekend, and as the Las Vegas slogan goes, "What happens at weddings should stay at weddings." I've kept a wedding journal and I believe someday it will make a hysterical movie or book. We have "The Nanny Diaries." Next up will be "The Wedding Diaries." Don't worry guys, I'll change your names.
Since I graduated from college a little over six years ago, I've attended fourteen weddings. That's an average of 2.3 weddings a year. To some, that number seems astronomical. I remember when I first started dating Swimster, he took a look at my fridge filled with wedding decorations and he wanted to run for the hills. It was coated in wedding wallpaper of save the dates, wedding invites, shower invites, bachelorette party invites, rehearsal dinner invites and there may have been even the rare baby shower notice.
Of my closest friends, about half are married. This was highlighted when I wrote my Christmas cards last year. I had to address most of them to Mr. and Mrs. So-and-So and it made me feel like a make believe grownup. The wedding wave has died down this year, and who knows when I will get the next middle-of-the-night phone call from a friend who's usually in bed by nine. There are no wedding bells in my future, and I don't think I've ever caught a bouquet. But you never know, lightning could strike.
I wanted to share a few fun pictures of BermudaBabe's bachelorette extravaganza. FoxyLady and I organized it and we were joined by a few good friends from our YMCA swim team growing up. I recommend all the places documented below. We are still days away from the official start of summer, and the Hamptons and all points east are not nearly as crowded as they will be a few weeks from now. Take advantage of this "off season" and get out there.
Here was our itinerary :
*Hop on the 5:09 train to Montauk on Friday after work. Like most Fridays at work, I was worthless. Clippy, FoxyLady and I met at Penn Station around 4:45 and we grabbed a few 24 ounce cans of Bud Light for the trip. Unlike Grand Central, where there's a big board of train times and track assignments, the trains at Penn don't get train assignments until at most ten minutes before departure time. So everyone stands under the board cranking their necks to see who can be the first to spot the track number the moment it pops up. Once that track number appears all hell breaks loose and it's a mad dash to the track. FoxyLady was strategizing how we'd get the best seat. FoxyLady and I would bare the heavy load of our bags and Clippy was assigned to sprint detail. "Just run and get us good seats and we'll find you!" Had the train actually been on the track when we got to it, this might have worked.
The train was one of the best parts of the trip. The trains out to Long Island are double decker and though you do have to switch at the Jamaica stop sometimes, ours was surprisingly a direct train. I learned from a cute male passenger that there's a quicker, more efficient way of getting to the Hamptons. If you take the 7 subway to Hunterspoint Avenue, he said, you can take an express train from there. I have since looked up this great notion on the MTA Web site and it's telling me "the station combination you have chosen is invalid." Hmmph.
*Check in to our lovely beach mohotel, or the Atlantic Terrace. I can't decide what to call it so I'm calling it a mohotel. It was a step up from a motel, but it wasn't quite a hotel. This was the beautiful scene from our pool chairs. The pool area was surprisingly awesome and the pool was even heated. With a $105/night rate, a great pool and a spot right on the beach, the Atlantic Terrace is a great find. Behind me in this picture was the beach. I woke up both mornings and took jogs along the coastline.
*Head to Gosman's for dinner reservations. I had been before with my uncle and parents and figured it would be the perfect place to start the weekend. It's right on the water and it has great seafood. I'm cheating and using my pictures from Mother's Day weekend just to give you an idea. It was late and too dark to snap pictures when we arrived.
*Scope out some bars where the bachelorette festivities would be Saturday night. We didn't have very much luck with this, or the night life in Montauk. It's pretty sleepy and I'm wondering if it's always like that or just because it's so early in the season. Nobody likes to take credit cards in Montauk and that also bugged me. We went to a bar/night club and turned around and left because it only took cash. We ended up spending the majority of the night at Nick's before we headed home.
*Crash and wake up for a morning run.
*Eat breakfast.
When I saw the sign I was a little concerned. I wasn't feeling naturally good and I didn't feel like eating anything naturally good. I wanted pancakes, eggs and hash browns. But what we discovered inside the Naturally Good Cafe was a lot of yummy delights: breakfast quesadillas, fruit crumbles, warm and chewy sticky buns, smoothies and egg sandwiches. The menu read egg and "sausage" sandwich and I didn't know what that meant but I gave it a go. It was so good, I ordered the same thing two days in a row. The fake sausage was a thick and crispy patty and it had a falafel taste to it.
*Lay out by the pool overlooking the ocean, soak up sun, apply and re-apply suncreens and sprays, participate in drunk relays. All of us at the bachelorette, minus one, swam in college.
*Team break for lunch at the Clam Bar. The funniest thing about this was our friends decided we should eat lunch here, but there is more than one off-the-main-road clam shack. We pulled into the first place, we were out of our cars, walking up to order from the counter when our friend realized this wasn't the Clam Bar. So, after a few confused stares from various patrons, we turned around, hopped into the cars, and pulled over a few hundred yards further down 27 into the right place.
*Head home for showers and Meels' mojitos. Our friend Meels brought all the fixings for mojitos: club soda, mint, limes, sugar and rum. FoxyLady and I provided the penis straws. Yup, I said it, penis straws. They are a must-have for all bachelorette functions. The mojitos were toxic and fabulous.
*Get out the party props and decorations and dress BermudaBabe up in her tiara, boa, whip and butt pincher.
*Play drinking games and go out.
*Drink free shots with dirty names from cute bartenders.
*Avoid being called "cougars" as Clippy and I were so kindly dubbed the previous night. Don't you have to be at least 50 to be considered a cougar? Ouch.
*Dance with a pole, walk to the Point for continued fun, take the Pink Tuna taxi home.
*Wake up for another run in the sun, another "naturally good" breakfast, a couple more hours of pool time, head home.
*But not before a delicious sandwich from our hotel snack bar. What a pleasant surprise! These hot, grilled sandwiches were the perfect finale to a great weekend. Even if you're not staying at Atlantic Terrace, if you're on the beach in Montauk, find our mohotel and get food at the snack bar. My crispy chicken sandwich was better than any grinder I grew up with. It was chicken parm on a wrap and the wrap was soft and flaky.
*Head home unwillingly, fight the Sunday blues, look forward to BermudaBabe's wedding and the next unforeseen bachelorette party. Where will lightning strike?



9 Comments:
Can't believe yo have so much energy: driking and partying so much and.... running on the beach at dawn!
Mona,
Just a quick "hello" to let you know I still think of you often. I'm at your old stompin' grounds right now (yes, a Sunday for some extra ca$h) ... and still reading your blog. I love it!!!! Lots to tell you ... drop me an e-mail so we can catch up!!
Miss you,
Keeboo :)
Jn, ha! One of my friends was making fun of me yesterday for being so high energy. Is that why I couldn't get out of bed this morning? Hope you're doing well.
Keeboo, how are you? I will email you to hear what's going on! Thanks for dropping me a note. Miss you!
YUM!!!!!!!
We're almost the same age, and I've been to 4 weddings, three of which were for friends of my BF (one for the last one, two for the current one) who were both older than me. And the one on my side? For my sister, who is 8 years older. =P I must not have as many friends as you, haha
"...I love food, I love to dance, I love to sing, I love to drink, I love cake..."
I knew you and I were friends for a reason! haha :)
yvo, ha! that must be it...NOT!
funstar, i know, right? i promise we'll plan a fun dinner date soon. how was the bbq party?
I don't get it. Some people have all the fun!
Hate to be a downer so it's all in how you interpret my comment. There's good news coming. When you get in your mid 40's the wedding invitations will start coming all over again. By the time you're 50 it's even better. You'll have the distinction of having gone to the same person's wedding twice, or three time for that matter. You get the point.
And as for you, Ms Blog Writer. I don't think lightening has to strike before it's your turn at bat. Of course anyone who steps up the plate better realize there could be a blog or diary published about the romance and all other thing personal. Gee, the power of the internet.
Dang, Mona! You're one party hearty Cougar! HAHAHA.
You were in my area, you should have stopped by for some bbq and drinks. Next time, perhaps.
John's for pancakes is fun in Montauk...
Penis straws, huh? Hmmmm......
Post a Comment
<< Home