Absolute Bagels
My roommates and I have been talking about Absolute Bagels for the past few weeks now, but each Saturday or Sunday morning, feeling exhausted and lazy, we end up settling on delivery. Absolute, to nobody's surprise, does not deliver, so we'd skip trying it. It's so pathetic, I know. Most weekends it's as though we suffer from severe weekend or morning agoraphobia.
I finally decided to end my weekends in sweats and captivity. I woke up one Saturday morning and ventured out on my own to try Absolute. The outside is completely bare of any signs or clear markings that you're about to enter a bagel place. The fogged up windows made it feel like my bathroom after I've taken a hot shower rather than a place to buy food.
I was enthralled by the man making the bagels right in front of me. This is how it's supposed to be done, yet it's so rare to find in the city anymore. I couldn't believe how empty the place was. I stepped right up to the counter and observed what kind of bagels were being served that morning, this while watching the bagel chef place rows and rows of raw bagel dough on the oven tray.
"Can I help you?" A loud voice came booming from behind the register. When I looked over the top of it I was stunned to find a petite Asian girl glaring at me wide-eyed. She sure had powerful and intimidating oratorical skills for someone so tiny. That or she'd eaten too many Absolute Bagels that morning.
I couldn't decide if I wanted to try one of the fancy cream cheeses in the display or go with a sandwich. The cream cheeses looked like Italian gelato because they topped each cream cheese container with its flavored ingredient. There were cream cheeses covered with fresh layers of apples, strawberries and chopped jalapenos. I decided to go with the turkey sandwich. Sadly they don't do bacon at Absolute but a plain turkey sandwich with mayo would suffice.
And this is what I took home with me. You can see from the picture, the bagel looks very flat. I really enjoyed that it wasn't a super fluffy bagel. Instead it was warm and doughy and the soft bagel dough flattened nicely into an edible sandwich. The bagel was soft and chewy and didn't have to be toasted it was so fresh. And look how they packed the turkey so nice and high.
2788 Broadway, between 107 and 108th Streets
212) 932-2052



7 Comments:
I usually don't manage to get my weekend bagel till well after noon, but I can't resist the jalepeno cream cheese at Murray's!
Oh wow, that sounds really good!!! I don't know why I never thought to buy cream cheese at Murray's. I will have to make a trip down.
Fresh breads are always the best. I had a bagel the other day, it was pretty ordinary. What's all the fuss? assume they're better straight from the oven. And packed full of yummy stuff :-D
You've lived on the UWS all this time and haven't been to Absolute Bagels? Crazy Mona, crazy!!!
I miss me some good bagels. There's this place that has H&H Bagels flown in every day but you can imagine how expensive it is...and the ones at Costco (yes, taiwan has costco, thank g-d) are o-kay, but rather boring and definitely of the boiled variety.
Ah, but i do have terrific nightmarket food and noodles galore!
I used to eat at Absolute every weekend! The egg bagel with butter is so sweet and good. I miss that neighborhood!
I am the luckiest person on the Upper West Side: the ceiling of Absolute Bagels is my floor. As you might imagine, I go there kinda often. It's the BEST!
Daughter and I just visited NYC from Ohio. Staying 3 blocks from Absolute, we ended up there three monings and carried 2 dozen home on the plane. They are amazing bagels.
Post a Comment
<< Home