Thursday, January 18, 2007

Grape and Grain

Winette is always thinking. She made plans for us the day after Hawkeye returned to Seattle so I wouldn't be pining away in my apartment all day long. At the end of my first day of Hawkeye withdrawal, or "Blue Monday," we met at Grape and Grain.

We were to meet at 8:30, but after being so late for our last rendez-vous, I promised myself I would be early to this one. I walked into Grape and Grain and immediately felt right at home. It was dark and dimly lit by candles at each table. There was one couple sprawled out over the far corner of the bar and another tucked away at a table in the back. Not only was I taken by the warm, charming feel of Grape and Grain, but I could actually sit at the bar without fighting corks and glasses on the way. The romantic setting made me yearn for Hawkeye and I wished -

"Hey there! How's it going?" My daydream was thankfully interrupted.

"Fine, thanks," I responded as I watched the bartender polishing his glassware. My half-hearted smile turned into a full smile and I shoved my sad thoughts away for another time.

Despite being a fifth wheel, I felt relaxed and cozy at Grape and Grain. For the first ten minutes without Winette, all I could think was, "I'm so glad we decided to meet here. I'm so glad we decided to meet here." Brian, the happy bartender, poured me some water, handed me the menu, and asked if I was meeting anyone. He paid more attention to me in those first few minutes than any bartender has my entire two and a half years in the city. When I told him I was meeting someone, he said I must be waiting for Winette. I shrieked. How did he know that from our conversation? He pointed to the table behind me marked "Reserved" and said, "That's for you!" I felt like royalty. I could have sat and talked to Brian all night, with or without Winette, but I wanted to seem somewhat occupied so I started reading my new copy of The Great Gatsby, courtesy of Hawkeye.

Winette arrived and the wine-ordering, cheese-tasting feast began. We noticed a sous-chef painting a tray filled with pita crisps, and we knew that would be our first dish. The white, veggie-friendly, bean dip came with those very pita chips the chef was preparing. The spicy pita chips were good enough to stand on their own, but complimented the simple, light bean dip. Once again, Winette and I found ourselves duking it out over the last bites.

Winette informed me that Grape and Grain is a two-part operation. Next door to where we were is the beer guzzler's haven, the preferred side of Winette's husband. We were in the wine-sipper's side, and though wine was what I craved that night, it was nice to know I had an option. I didn't get a chance to look at the "grain," but hope to next time.

Our next adventure was a cheese plate. It was almost as fun listening to Brian describe their selection as it was eating it. We opted for a variety of California and Spanish cheeses to suit both our tastes. The cheese came with fresh bread and generous slices of three cheeses.

Don't think the fun stops there. Winette looked at me and asked if it was gross that she wanted something else. She should know better. Our last dish was the artichoke and tomato pizza. The dough was thick, almost like a Sicilian pizza, and chewy. It was perfectly cooked, to the point if they left it in a minute less the dough would have been too raw. I could actually taste the fresh artichokes because they weren't drowning in cheese or marinara.

Grape and Grain was the perfect means for me to ease out of la-la-land and into the real world. Having a long-distance relationship is challenging, and at times, I wish I could click my heels and be in Seattle; but with friends like Winette, and nights like the one we had at Grape and Grain, I know I can hack it. If I'm lucky, Hawkeye will come back, I will take him to Grape and Grain, and we will sprawl out over the far corner of the bar. I will notice a girl walking in alone and I will smile to myself, content that for that evening, I am with the man I love, and I am no longer the fifth wheel.

620 East 6th St, between Avenues B & C
212-420-0002

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't love grand? I hope he gets back to you, long distance IS very hard, we did it for 3 years so i understand what you are going through.
The restaurant sounds like my kind of place too, surely he would love it :)

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always give props to those with LD relationships. I couldn't do it. It takes a certain kind, that which I am not. Good luck, but isn't it grand? :)

PS The restaurant sounds delish! You're really making me crave cheese.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*wipes solitary tear from eye* I love pizzzzzzzzzza

4:29 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Winette sounds like a great friend to rescue you from Blue Monday - that's the hardest time in a long distance relationship. Hopefully he's reading this post and planning another visit very soon.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

You had me at pizza.

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo ... Ma-na-na ... you're making me hungry!!! Sounds like a great restaurant to take the hubby!!!!

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry you've been a bit blue, Mona. Friends and food are the perfect balm for a heart that hurts!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

ha, yes yes it is anon 1. wow, 3 years? that's impressive. hope you get to try g&g someday!!

thanks for the props anon 2. and thanks for the good luck wishes, i need them at times :) go and get some cheese already, will ya?

naz, haa, yah i love pizza too. will have to return to this place in the very near future.

mebeth, she is a great friend. and yes, the day after we go our separate ways is always the toughest. and he better be planning another visit-ha!

aww, hey greg. hope you're doing well!

keeboo, not sure why it's telling me you were anononymous but what the heck. how are you ? how's control 1 without me?? i miss you and our toplines. you better keep in touch and let me know when there's something in the oven!!! ha!!!

janice, yes you are absolutely correct. thanks for stopping by as always. hope you're doing well!

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting story as for me. It would be great to read more concerning this theme. Thank you for giving that info.
Joan Stepsen
New gadgets technology

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.