Friday, July 09, 2010

Home Stretch

"Nevada is long and boring, boring and long, long and flat... very flat..."

"OK, Dad, I get the picture. Thanks."

I'm staring at our nation's maps -- two versions. The type you hang on your wall that looks pretty and the LARGE SCALE LARGE TYPE road atlas. I love maps and I'm having fun planning our next route.

My dilemma: hit up Utah and go straight to Yosemite or go through the entire state of Nevada (which sounds awfully painful from my mom and dad's reports) and hit up Tahoe. We are scheduled to return the vehicle that's been so good to us so far (knocking on huge wooden desk in hotel room) at 4 p.m. on Sunday. And the plan is to rent a U-Haul truck on Tuesday or Wednesday to drive down to L.A. with a bed from our house in Carmel and any other furniture I might find along the way. It's hard without the city corners of Manhattan to shop around.

My mom's yelling at me to wrap it up so I must be going. I'm leaving on a full stomach. We drove out to the Spring Creek Ranch this morning, on Mr. and Mrs. MaineMan's wonderful recommendation. I ate their huevos rancheros, which were phenomenal, and our lovely hostess Trish gave me the "clean plate" award. YES!

Where will the road take us today? We will just have to see. So long, Jackson and The Lexington, so long, wilderness and the animals I've loved watching and spotting this past week. So long, cowboy boots and saddles at the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar. So long, Moose Drool and other local beers I've enjoyed and guzzled down. So long, warm days and crisp, cool mountain nights.

If I throw a penny in the Snake River does that mean I must return? One can only hope.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shira said...

Hope you got a chance to stop in Tahoe, that's one of my fave places in NorCal. When you get to LA, hit up Nickel Diner and Bossa Nova (I like the wait staff at the Sunset Blvd. one)...yummy! Oh and if you feel like roaming a bit, there is a Thai place in Huntington Beach called Thai Gulf with a dinner special to die for. Cheers!

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.