Saturday, May 05, 2007

Barcibo Enoteca


Since leaving my previous job, I've been in withdrawal from my daily dose of Winette. We used to instant message constantly at work on the TOTO, or "Talk of the Office." Our discussions covered a wide variety of newsworthy subjects, from scantily clad interns, to anchor fashion faux pas, to daft co-workers and who was shagging who -- typical office banter, really. Now that we don't get to share these amusing messages throughout the day, we plan catch up nights from time to time, but not as often as we'd like.

Our last get together was an uptown wine night spent at Barcibo Enoteca. When we were deciding where to go, I was a little worried because I couldn't find any write up on the upper west side wine bar. It wasn't that I didn't trust Winette had read about it. I was just wondering if it was still open. To this day I don't see it anywhere on the Web, so if you find it somewhere, please let me know. I don't even know the exact address to give you, other than it is on the east side of Broadway, somewhere between 68th St. and 71st St. I hope this helps.

WARNING: Avoid entering Barcibo Enoteca on an empty stomach and lightweight drinkers should proceed with caution and at their own risk.

The morning after my night at Barcibo Enoteca was one of the worst days I've had at work in history. I was sicker than I'd ever been, with the exception of my first night at the University of Virginia. All morning I was pleading with my co-workers to send me home, but they kept giving me nothing but pep talks as if I was about to compete in an Olympic event.

"You can do it, Mona. You can get through this. Be tough."

I would look at them with a somber look of death, my face felt like it was drooping down to my keyboard.

"Oh, please. I've seen worse. Go get some grease and drink some Gatorade. You'll feel better in no time," said another.

"No, I think I'm going to d-"

"Stopppppuh. Suck it up, Mona."

My seatmate ClarkKent shared a survival story about how he had to teach a classroom full of kids hungover. At least I got to sit down, I thought. The toughest thing I had to face was our publishing program, not a room filled with kids asking questions. He was right. I could do this and I did.

Barcibo Enoteca is small, and if it wasn't for the extra seating on the mezzanine level, I wouldn't hurry back. Most wine bars have at least some spots for standing, but it's awkward standing at Barcibo Enoteca, which I did for some time waiting for free seats. Every table is tall -- about the bar's height. I really liked this stylistic seating choice. It added a unique quality to the dining rooms. The bar was very small, and only fit about six people, but the bonus is there is a bar on the upper level as well.

I was the first to arrive at Barcibo Enoteca and I was less than impressed with the welcoming staff. There were a couple of waitresses floating around and there was clearly a host on the floor. I had been waiting by myself, with no attention, for at least ten minutes, if not more. I was losing my cool, and the host sensed it because he finally came over to me and asked if I needed anything.

"Is it pretty much fend for yourself here?" I asked.

"You got it."

I had turned into one of those people I hate -- the lurking vultures who check out your every move at a table. Was that the last bite? Is that the last sip? Did they pay the bill? Are they waiting for change? I was trying to keep my eye on several tables and another couple walked in. This could get ugly.

After they were also ignored, they turned around and headed right back out the door. At least this saved me from a seating battle.

A few minutes later my prayers were answered and a couple got up from their seats at the bar on the ground level. I sat down and Winette arrived.

The bartender was really friendly. She poured us waters right away, handed us the wine menu and offered to pour us anything we wanted.

Winette and I sipped several tastes before choosing our wines. We also ordered olives, a cheese plate and shrimp and artichoke bruschetta. We requested the shrimp on the side because Winette is a vegetarian and it was not a problem. They were very generous with the cheeses -- we chose three with different textures. Barcibo's bruschetta was a hungry man's version. I'm used to my Dad's finely chopped tomatoes and onions and theirs had huge chunks of artichokes -- I could barely pick it up with my hands. It was good but I could have done without the shrimp. More is not always better.

After a few hours of stories, laughs and huge glasses of wine, I started getting sleepy. The long work days were catching up with me, as was the wine. The wine glasses at Barcibo are like normal water or soda glasses without stems, and the bartender filled them to the rim, as if we ordered Cokes.

I didn't think I drank that much once I hugged Winette good night. But when the alarm went off at six o'clock in the morning the next day, I felt like I had done shots of tequila all night. I vowed to ease off the juice and drinking on school nights for a while.

Today, two of my favorite days are combined into one: it's Cinco de Mayo and the Kentucky Derby. There will be cheering for the horses and plenty of sombreros and tequila to go around -- BeanieBaby even made us taco T-shirts. If you see a group of wild and crazy girls barhopping on the upper west side, stop and say hello. But first, I head to Winette's apartment, for her annual Kentuck Derby party, where I will be careful to drink small glasses of wine, and not barrels.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jn said...

Hey Mona!
Keep writing. Your blog is so entertaining!

JN

6:41 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

ha, thanks jn, i got a disturbing comment on the provence post that i just removed. yowsas. i hope most people agree with you and not this rando anonymous.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.