Fraunce's Tavern
Hawkeye and I spent our first day in New York together in search of a little history downtown. We hopped in a cab at the airport terminal, I mean, the Hilton Hotel, and told the cab driver, "We're headed to Bowling Green."When he hesitated with a look of dread and confusion, we looked at each other, wondering if I said the putting green instead of a known Manhattan destination, and repeated myself, "Bowling Green?"
He replied, "You got directions?"
Neither of us had directions. I had a New York City book my mom gave me that I kept while playing uber tour guide, but having been downtown only twice, no, I did not have directions.
The cab driver motioned to the bellhop and asked in broken English, "You know how to get Bowling Green?" The bellhop answered and told him to hop on the FDR and it should be no problem. I laughed, thinking to myself, "No problem? Ha!" As we pulled away from the building I reached out the window with fingers on both hands crossed and the bellhop mimicked my gesture as he yelled, "Good luck!" There's a first for everything.
Our Civil War tour began at 1:15 at Bowling Green and the ticket said we were to be there by one o'clock. As the minutes ran away from us, I started squirming with panic inside the cab. Hawkeye kept his cool, held me down, and reminded me it was not the end of the world. We could re-schedule the tour for later that week. Good point. We made our way slowly downtown and I could smell the lack of confidence in the cab driver. When my watch tolled 1:15, I turned away from Hawkeye to find we were driving across the Brooklyn Bridge. It was all over.
"Umm, why are we driving to Brooklyn?" I asked.
The cabbie quickly answered, "Miss, I miss exit. I sorry. Meter turn off already. Doan worry."
Had he not been so nice and apologetic, things would have been different. But the most I could do was laugh and sit back and enjoy the view with Hawkeye.
When we finally got back to Manhattan it was about 1:30. I started following our route with my map and noticed we were already several blocks north of Bowling Green. Hawkeye had faith the cabbie would redeem himself; I insisted we get out. If we stayed in I am confident we would have had a superb tour of the five boroughs.
We walked east a few blocks and I noticed an old brick building that looked like part of colonial Williamsburg. As we got closer I made out "Fraunce's Tavern" on the sign. When I asked my dad a few weeks earlier for some historical spots to hit with Hawkeye, this was the first place he recommended. Fraunce's Tavern was built in 1719 and it's one of the oldest restaurants in the U.S. and the second oldest building in Manhattan. Samuel Fraunce purchased Fraunce's Tavern in 1762 and it became a hot spot for the Sons of Liberty. It was from the museum's Long Room that George Washington made his farewell address to his officers in 1793.
When I read this in my guide book, I half expected to see the ghost of the great Washington come down the stairs to meet us. Hawkeye and I walked in, and to my disappointment, a hostess asked us if we'd like to sit in the Tavern or the Tallmadge Room. Where was the General? We were both casually dressed for what was supposed to be a long day of walking so we opted for the Tavern. The Tavern was spacious and empty, despite it being lunch time. The bar glowed to your right with the inviting taps and there were a few tables against the far walls with a lot of empty space in between. I felt like bursting out in song, "Empty chairs at empty tables..."
I have to admit, it wasn't what I imagined. Minus a large mural on the far wall of the "Battle of Brooklyn," a colonial flag, and the entrance which had a couple displays of museum bits, I didn't feel the history like I hoped I would. After looking at the other dining options on their website, it seems we picked the room with the least amount of charm. For an encounter with General Washington's aura, head to the other rooms.
Hawkeye ordered the beef stew and I ordered a turkey club. Hawkeye's beef stew looked a tad boring and watery. He insisted it was just right. I'm picky with my turkey clubs and there was something wrong with mine but I couldn't put my finger on it. The bread was toasted and buttery and perfect. The bacon was crunchy. It had just the right amount of mayo, but the turkey, oh, the turkey. The turkey meat was sliced too thick. I like my turkey lean and mean, not thick like a slice of honey ham. The french fries were large and crispy, as you can barely make out with my lousy camera picture, so I focused most of my time and stomach on them.Despite the lackluster food, our server was extremely friendly and gracious. Everything came on time, though this would have been more of a feat if there were people in the Tavern besides us. I am very glad we tried Fraunce's. The curiosity was killing me. But perhaps the dinner in the Nichols Room is more of a thrill. I hope so, or General Washington will have to come back again for a rather different farewell address.
54 Pearl Street
212-269-0144
7 Comments:
I've been there for drinks (but never dinner) and I manage to get lost every time I try to find it.
*really excited* Oh my god, oh my god,... I'm going to have to email you. You should have called me- I live right in the area. And I work in the area. I'll email you and you'll see why I'm so excited.
Mebeth, I think it'd be fun to go have a few beers. Not sure where I'd go AFTERWARDS in the financial district, maybe Ulysses.
Yvo, ok girl. You are KILLING ME! What the heck is going on? Why do you torture me so!?!?
I was out Googling for signs to the long-gone "Hip Bagel" on MacDougal Street (Greenwich Village), and I landed here at Fraunce's Tavern. And your review captured it perfectly - it's been bland to awful, the decor and food that is, ever since I can remember.
Used to have dinner there with my father, it was one of his favorite places - because of its history. Also, the dining room was always quite, like having dinner out in the country.
Grew up in and around Manhattan, but the places I remember are now also history, yet hardly "historic." Like the "Hip Bagel," an interesting, late-night, hole-in-the-wall, popular with musicians during the 60's. I worked briefly as the night manager, we served things like "guitars" and "banjos."
I'm currently writing a book about the period, specifically about NYC's restaurants and the characters who worked them - their brief lives and fast times. Back when you could still find a Horn & Hardart and Bickford's cafeteria - and a complete steak dinner for $1.29 (Tad's).
Anyway, I'm not writing about "Pearl Street Pete," who used to hang around the bar at Fraunce's Tavern, "listening." Lots of floor traders used to come in after the Exchange closed for the day, which, word has it, enabled John to get in on the ground floor of companies like Occidental Petroleum, McDonald’s, and a host of others.
That's the thing about New York's restaurants, they hide more history than meets the public's eye;)
...enabled "Pete" (not "John").
Mona!
Hapy new year!
My company's office moved downtown to State st last week. So I'm getting yo know the area a little bit.
"Not sure where I'd go AFTERWARDS in the financial district, maybe Ulysses. "
--> you have to try Battery Gardens (preferably in summer though, for its outside seating is really nice).
Bakerman, I really appreciated your comments. I was worried I was too harsh on the ol' Tavern. I'm excited about the subject of your book. I hope I can read a copy at some point. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I always love seeing new visitors. Take care!!
Jn, how are you doing? Bonne Annee! Thanks for the tip. I will definitely try Battery Gardens next time I'm in the 'hood.
Post a Comment
<< Home