Friday, May 26, 2006

La Bottega

BOTTEGA1
(photo courtesy of Winette's camera phone)

It was a sunny spring day and Winette and I wanted to take the opportunity to eat al fresco and sans car fumes. She suggested the Maritime Hotel's La Bottega and I was all for it.

We showed up after a stressful day on the job, and were startled when the hostess at the top of the staircase leading up from the street told us we would be seated momentarily. It was a busy Friday night and I was stunned. Her "momentarily" was only seconds as she turned away and turned right back with menus and lead us to a tiny two-top in the center of the outdoor terrace. The word terrace doesn't really do the space at La Bottega justice. When I think of terrace in most New York City restaurants, I think of a fenced in 10x10ft section behind a restaurant, off a back alley. This is far from the case at La Bottega. The hotel sits behind the massive space and the front looks directly onto Ninth Avenue. The terrace is divided into two sections, one where you can order drinks and pizza; and the other where you can order the full menu. Whenever I pass the Maritime Hotel I can't help but look up with dreamy eyes, to see the large white globular lanterns dangling above the blue and white umbrellas. It makes me nostalgic for a trip my family once took to Santa Margherita Ligure along the Italian Riviera.

Winette and I couldn't believe how easy it was to sneak in to this hot spot and get a table. Our excited giddiness was short-lived, however. It was marred by the Britney Spears-esque girl that waited on us. I didn't mind she resembled the pop starlet, but I did mind that it took her forever to come over to our table, and not just the first time, but every time thereafter. Winette and I got our first glasses of wine, and we debated ordering the next round right then and there.

Winette is my favorite vegetarian and when I eat with her I try to mimic her, so we ordered a simple pizza margherita. It took so long to come out you'd think Britney flew to Italy to get it. We waited, and we waited patiently, and she kept saying it was on its way. What I didn't understand was how the table sitting next to us got their pizza when they were seated after us. Oh well, that's the story of my life. At least the pizza was hot when it came out. The pizza was just the right balance of sauce and cheese. And the thin crust was well-cooked and not soggy from too much cheese (one of my peeves).

I think every New Yorker should go to La Bottega. And when it's sunny I will be going back. It is hands down one of the most beautiful places to sit and relax with friends. I suggest not going starving like we were, however. Or, like us, you'll be be casting death wishes on every waiter who walks out with food that's not yours.

La Bottega at The Maritime Hotel
88 9th Ave, between 15th and 16th St.
212-243-8400

12 Comments:

Blogger Nazca said...

Mmmm piiiizza!

I like going veggie sometimes too. A margherita of one of the best. With a little basil to finish it of :-)

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apart from the snail's pace of service (from Britney ... hee!), it sounds delightful. Isn't it wonderful to be dining al fresco again?!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Pizza and drinks sounds like a great way to end the week.Glad you are blogging again have a great Memorial Day.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Naz, ha, I know. It was yummy.

Tania, snail's pace, yes, that's about right:) But it was delightful.

Greg, Happy Mem Day weekend to you too! I'm working the whole time, but I'm going away next weekend for my 5yr college reunion, so at least I have some fun to look forward to.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

soggy crust is inforgiveable! Good thing they got it right, i would have accidentally thrown it on the floor topping side down otherwise.
People must understand and appreciate my red hot rage for soggy pizza :) sounds yummy though, happy vegetarian day to you!

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to make this pizza, but perhaps I should just fly to NY instead. And pooh on the BS lookalike.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Lovely pic!

Always a good read!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Rrrrr, bad service is such a pet-peeve of mine, but a nice mouth-searing piece of good pizza (with a crunchry crust, of course) can fix just about anything. Have a great reunion next weekend, and don't worry about being late for the birthday at all....RL happens, right?

9:56 AM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

I had the same experience - a great spot and a beautiful terrace but the service left quite a bit to be desired.

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy, Mona!

I am sorry the service was so slow. I really wish servers would understand that saying "It's on its way out" can really only be used once. After that, it is the boy crying wolf. I really despise that.

But the terrace sounds wonderful and I miss NYC in a lot of ways.

(BTW, take a trip over to my new digs. You are always welcome there! www.feastinginphoenix.com)

1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll add this to my list. Thanks!

Paz

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

was there last week. the pizza was fantastic but the service was very slow. we were in at 12:30 and out at 2.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.