Holy Basil
Wednesday was my Sunday and I finally made my mind up to spend a good portion of the day writing. I've been meaning to start a novel for some time now. It's a matter of me sitting down and banging it out, in addition to a lot of other factors, but I will work those out at a much later date. I love writing but sometimes I don't have the discipline to sit in front of a computer on the fleeting moments I'm not at work, since from 11-8pm all day everyday I'm in front of a computer. I will just have to remind myself that what I'm doing on my laptop at home is for my self-fulfillment and will be more gratifying to me in the future then the stuff I'm currently doing at work.
I found a Starbucks on the same corner as the restaurant and sat there for a couple of hours before getting the call. "We just got here, come on up!" Packing up my wires, closing my trusty laptop, tossing the remains of the decaf ice coffee, and freeing up a table for a loud family of five, I was on my way.
Holy Basil is up a small staircase off of Second Avenue. The awning with the big letters "Holy Basil" is the only way you'd think to go up the stairs. It looks like an apartment or brownstone entrance. Silly me, I thought the restaurant's name was supposed to be funny, as in "Holy Smokes!" After some research, I learned that holy basil is actually a type of basil with a slightly peppery taste. The herb's flavor is fully released after cooking so it is generally not eaten raw, but added to stir-fried dishes and some spicy soups. Holy basil is a sacred herb in India where it is frequently planted around Hindu shrines.
The restaurant is one long narrow room, roughly the size of a six-lane swimming pool, and has high ceilings and walls decked in long paintings and mirrors. With its Buddha statues and long wiry plants it feels as if you've stepped off Second Avenue and into a dark wooden temple. The small bar is immediately to your right and I followed the trail of peanuts to the back table, where the Peanut Gallery was already happy and seated.
I spoke with a friend at work who scoured my blog for the first time and she had one recommendation, posting pricetags on the meals I eat, so readers have an idea of how expensive a place is. Holy Basil's prices were really reasonable and I figured this would be a perfect place to start with prices.
For appetizers Swimster ordered a few dishes for the table: satay-strips of grilled marinated chicken with peanut sauce and cucumber salad($6.50) , duck spring rolls served with tomato chili sauce ($6.50), steamed dumplings filled with minced pork, shrimp, and shiitake mushrooms with a tangy soy sauce ($6.50), and thanks to Mr. T's recommendation, we ordered the papaya salad which was shredded green papaya, dried shrimp, peanuts, palm sugar, tomatoes, and chili pepper in a mortar with lime juice ($6). Did you get all that? The grilled chicken was soft and tender, and not too overcooked. The peanut sauce was a little bland, but the tiny cucumber salad (more of a light vinaigrette than a salad) made up for it. The steamed dumplings were neat little mushy boxes of goodness. The duck spring rolls were a perfect thin size and the best appetizer on the table. They reminded me of Mexican flautas. They were sliced in halves and the tender slivers of duck were oozing out, ready to be grabbed up by eager fingers around the table. The papaya salad was like a Thai cole slaw. I didn't get a lot of it since it was such a hot item, but the spoonful I did snag was fresh and crisp and very pleasing-a perfect light summery snack.
(*Doesn't it look like the sun was sitting right next to Swimster? I apologize for the blinding picture of his entree.)
For the entrees, Swimster tried the shrimp and scallops with panang curry, coconut milk, and string beans ($15). I tried the pra ram long song (I'd like to hear all of you pronounce that out loud) or sliced beef cooked in peanut sauce and red curry with steamed Asian vegetables ($9). CactusLadka next to me ordered pla laad preeg or whole crispy striped bass in Thai red chili sauce with holy basil leaves($16). My sliced beef gets an A for presentation (I tried taking pictures but my camera has seen better days), but the beef was a little bit too chewy and there wasn't enough peanut sauce on it. I should have asked for a side of the peanut sauce, now that I think of it. Swimster likes meals light on the sauce but sadly, I prefer a lot, especially when it comes to peanut sauce. Swimster's shrimp and scallops dish was also excellent in its presentation. Judging by how quickly he shoveled it in, it was clearly a winner in taste as well. I'm not a huge scallop fan but I did try the shrimp and thought the curry was perfect-not too heavy, not too light- and not overly greasy like what you find at some places. CactusLadka's fish was another beautiful dish, if you don't mind having a whole fish with skin and eyes and fangs on your plate. I tried one piece, after he had removed some of the skin, and really liked the light soft fish with the red chili sauce. It was a kind of chili relish and I could have eaten a whole bowl of it. If it weren't for the whole fish, I would order this the next time.
The service was excellent, and as you have just read the food was fun and festive, perfect for a birthday group occasion. And I just gave it away, there will be a next time at Holy Basil.
149 2nd Avenue, between 9th and 10th
212-460-5557
21 Comments:
Yums on the food. And good for you for making time to write. I agree, it can be a total pain to fit that into a hectic schedule. Nothing environment and some good tunes can't fix. You go girl!
Sounds like Robin's favourite herb... sorry Batman reference there. I once got chicken satay served at a finger buffet, messy... didn't put my off :-)
How great that you're trying to find time to write. Whatever I could say to encourage you, consider it said. Time goes by so fast...
Paige Jennifer, yums on the food is right! And so was the comment about good tunes. I put on some classical music from the directTV, does that make me a dork?
Naz, Robin's favorite herb, eh? I totally get the Batman reference, but thanks for the err..handout :) Chicken satay at a finger buffet, that sounds like a poem...
Janice, thanks for the words of encouragement. I have to check in and see how your quilts going!!
I was just thinking yesterday about the novel that I've had kicking around for the last 4-5 years, and the box that I stuck it in when I moved. I was ready to give up on writing, but I feel like this is a sign, and encouragement from Mona. Thanks for the kismet!
I just love Thai food, and your mouth-watering descriptions have my stomache grumbling in anticipation... looks like I'll be hitting Thai Erawan for lunch today!
You know, I am also in serious need of putting aside the time for writing and research. Maybe you, me and The Backyard Chef could form an electronic writing club? ;)
Gotta love how ex-swimmers perpetually measure/estimate distances and objects by the size of a pool....
see you Friday.
Holy Basil Batman! Not a big fan of Thai food because of my adversion to coconut. But this place sounds and looks good.
Paz, yes it's definitely worth the stop. Hope you're doin well!
BC, I am a firm believer in "signs." Go for it BC. I think we should encourage each other. Ever done any writing courses?
S'kat, I think that's an awesome idea. How should we go about doing this?
Greg, oh man, aversion to coconut, I see. That's serious since it's in just about everything. Is it a physical thing like allergies or you just don't like it.
Oh Mal, I forgot ya. Ha, I knew you'd like that one:) I was like, well, instead of rectangular, it's the size of a swimming pool :)
Gettin' ready for Mexico? I just saw all the pix from my roommate and her trip and it looked like so much fun!
No writing courses since college. I was poetry/lit major way back then.
Since then, writing has been spotty-- a little for the NY Press, and here and there. I'm up for a writing club!
I used to do 100words.net back right when it started....
Hi! Just checkin in. Hope all is well! I enjoyed the shopping pics!
:)
BC, what's that 1000words.net thing you mentioned? I'll have to look it up right now.
Harmonia, how are you? Thanks for dropping by. I had fun setting up that shopping pic:) Funny, whether it's a present or groceries I'm excited to open any box!!
BC, what's that 1000words.net thing you mentioned? I'll have to look it up right now.
Harmonia, how are you? Thanks for dropping by. I had fun setting up that shopping pic:) Funny, whether it's a present or groceries I'm excited to open any box!!
Luv, luv, luv Thai food. Isn't papaya salad great? Especially when it's made super spicy.
Great review, Mona. I remember some very good Thai restaurants when I was in NYC. It sounds like you found another gem.
There is some decent Thai here in Phoenix, but Holy Basil sounds great.
I miss my NYC chow experiences.
Great review and I like the addition of the prices.
Thanks!
Ed, oh yah, I love stuff super spicy. I think I pushed my limit to the ceiling so now I have a pretty high tolerance:) Swimster on the other hand..no like the spices.
Seth, how's it going? It's been a while. Good to see you're still around! I will make sure to check in with you when I think about going to other Thai places.
I am a big fan of Holy Basil and was just there the other weekend! The green curry was delicious, and the pad thai excellent. Very romantic space with East Village charm.
Francesca, oh that's great! What are some of your other favorite Thai places, I'm curious.
Holy Basil is one of my favorite thai places. I just wish I could handle spices so I didn't have to limit my choices.
Tbone, oh yah, if you can't handle spices that's a huge issue. My friend at work orders Indian all day every day and she always asks me and I can't understand how her body can take so much of it. Once per week, if not month, is good enough for me!
Post a Comment
<< Home