Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Happy St. Patrick's Day! I found this picture on the web and it fit perfectly, as it pretty much sums up the scene outside our newsroom.
I had a pretty bad day at work yesterday and thanks to my support network at the office, I was able to get through it. One friend at work had to practically spoonfeed me a slice of his homemade Irish soda bread, hoping it would make me feel better (I barely felt like eating all day). It worked like a leprechaun's charm and I figured I would share the recipe with you all, as a token of celebrating my Irish heritage. Thanks to SaltyDogHamilton for sharing it with me.
IRISH SODA BREAD
Ingredients:
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour (use Hecker’s unbleached flour)
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups raisins
1 Tablespoon caraway seeds (optional)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 ½ cups buttermilk
2 Tablespoons melted butter
Directions:
Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and caraway seeds. Mix with a wire whisk until well blended. Add raisins and blend well.
Add eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter. Mix again, with a strong fork, until all the ingredients are well moistened. Dough will be sticky - this is normal.
Place in a greased and floured 8 or 9 inch pan, either glass or aluminum, and bake at 350° F for about one hour, until golden brown*. The dough may be divided to make 2 small loaves, in 5 or 6-inch pans.
* Ovens vary in temperature, so adjust cooking time as necessary. A knife piercing the center of the bread that comes out clean and dry will tell you that the bread is done.
This is an original Irish recipe brought to America in the 1920’s.
By Mary Hamilton, County Antrim.
And here's a little Irish blessing to send you on your way... to the kitchen :)
"Here's wishing you the top o' life without a single tumble.
Here's wishing you the smiles o' life and not a single grumble.
Here's wishing you the best o' life and not a claw about it.
Here's wishing you the joy in life and not a day without it."
19 Comments:
Well, bad days are coming and going.
Don't forget: after rain, there is sunshine. I hope you will be alright soon (or you are already).
But I've to go - have to do my dishes after the lunch. cu
i can't believe my frickin blog was so messed up all day yesterday! how annoying! i wish i had known i had to just click the republish button and it'd be fine. grrrrrrrrr!
Is everything okay?
I had no idea you were part Irish- just Italian! Your mom's side is Irish?I'm in Cville today and just had take it away! YUM!!!
Mal
Good to see your Blog in style again.
I wounderd at the style.
I'm so glad your blog is fixed. I was getting worried. Everything looks fine to me now.
kalyn, aw thanks. i could not figure out what the heck happened. blogger mentioned it was doing fixes and then said they were done but my blog was left in shambles :) hopefully now all better...and everyone missed my st. patty's day post. argh!
Glad to see you back in business Mona! Hopefully blogger can get these issues delt with for good!
awwwww, sorry work stinks! But, glad you and your blog are back. Man...that was weird. I thought it was my browser, until it came through the same way on all the computers. Looks fine now on my end.
joe, yah seriously. makes me want to re-think having my site up here. surprise crashes is not fun. i don't have any of my writing backed up on a hard drive..i think i might have to do this..and do it soon.
janice, ha thanks for sticking it out till the end of this minor hiccup. strange the wonderful world of technology. now, onto saving my work on a hard drive-any tips?
Hope things are better today! I've never made soda bread (raisins - ack!) but maybe I could substitute something. Chocolate chip soda bread anyone?
mebeth, oh no i forgot soda bread wasn't raisinhater friendly-ha :)
chocolate chip soda bread sounds even better.mmmmmmmm!
Mona - Eeks. Wasn't blogger f-ed up for a while? I was having major issues posting as well. Anyways, I hope you were able to get some R&R this weekend to recover from the crummy previous week.
Ahoy, Mona! Welcome back. Sorry to hear about the techinical snafus. I wouldn't know anything about those, now would I?
Hope you and your blog are feeling better.
ed, yah seriously, what the heck was going on? blogger had the flu or something :) i work on the weekends so didn't get much r&r but oh well. i'll be getting some of that tomorrow!
bc, aw, thanks. i just checked out your blog updates and loved the animal pix :) i heard about your bbq weekend and i so want to go but i'll be at work. wondering how i can finagle my way out of it...
Not sure why you had a bad day at work, but beleive me, the clock is ticking. You are so talented and bigger and better things are ahead. Before you know it, the newsroom will be following the news YOU are making. I've said it before, Martha watch out, "Mona" is quickly approaching from behind.
avery, thanks for that note. that is so cute and makes me smile. yah, i can email you about my work frustrations. oh where to begin!! hope all's well in houston. guess who's joining you out in texas soon..miss christina!! ha! she's off to dallas.
haha you have scotch in you! I think you mean a little Scottish, scotch is a drink :-) I quite regularly have scotch in me, when the brandy has run out.
Soda bread rocks! My nan aways makes her own in her auger! MMMM
naz, i wonder how the recipe differs. haa i have both scottish AND scotch in me-often!!
:)
good to hear from you, hope all's well!
Happy St Patrick's Day
Post a Comment
<< Home