Landmarc
I walked in to Landmarc and zigzagged through the crowded dining room to meet Carebear and CottonCandy at the bar in the back. The bar was small and ¾ of a circle in circumference. I overheard one woman asking, "Is this the only bar?" And the bartender quickly responded "Yes!" There was a small mantel to its left where the girls were sipping their half-bottle of wine. I shared a small glass with them and the hostess whisked us away to our table a short 5 minutes later. The dining room, though crowded felt large and airy with its high ceilings. The I-beams and exposed brick warmed up the space and the lighting was just right-on the darker side with candles placed on each table. Note there is also an upstairs dining room.
When we sat down, CottonCandy blurted out in laughter. To her sudden shock, she looked closer at her wine receipt from the bar and noticed the tab was a whopping $58! She had misread the wine list and ordered what she thought was an $18 dollar half bottle. And no, it sadly was not Montrachet or Chateau Petrus. God bless her. Cotton Candy took it gracefully with a smile and a laugh, which I know I would NOT have been able to do.
When we sat at the table, the server immediately brought us the wine list and asked “Bottled or tap water?” At the risk of unknowingly ordering a pricey bottle of water a la Kona Nigari ($33.50/2 ounces), we stuck with tap. The first thing I noticed I liked about the place (besides the meat cooking on a barbecue pit behind the bar-vegetarians beware) was the menu. It came in the form of a small fold-out city map which we had to open to glance at its offerings.
The executive chef of Landmarc Marc Murphy is well traveled, being the son of a diplomat, and his international experience is apparent in the French/Italian fare chez Landmarc. This also explains my hardship in describing what sort of food it offers. A sort of smorgasbord of a little bit of pasta and a little bit of steak tartare, along with various other items on the menu. Despite some delicious sounding Italian dishes, the theme of our dinner was French.
Menu Memorables: For an appetizer we chose the warm goat cheese profiteroles with a roasted red pepper salad. This was a perfect size dish for the three of us. We each got our hands on a mini- profiterole. It was a sort of profiterole sandwich, and in between was a thin layer of goat cheese. The goat cheese was on the mild side, almost bordering a Boursin spread. I wished the goat cheese was more on the stronger side. In the middle of the profiteroles were the soft and delicate roasted red peppers. For the entrees, Carebear went with a large (you can choose small/large portions of both pastas and salads) endive salad with blue cheese and walnuts in a sherry vinaigrette. And when it came to the table immediately asked myself "Why hadn't I thought of that?" I had never seen and endive salad quite like this. It was a pretty white pile of chopped endives mixed in with walnuts. The cheese and walnuts were evenly dispersed throughout and the vinaigrette meshed all the flavors into one sweet crunchy success. CottonCandy chose the steak tartare with grilled country bread and field greens. The tartare was neatly packed into a small round patty and sat resting on 6 slices of thick bread. I snagged some of the steak/bread combo and enjoyed the bitter and salty tartare mixture. I went with my French cuisine crutch: a hangar steak in a green peppercorn sauce, served with fries and field greens. What I liked about the steak selection is you could build your own steak entrée: hangar, strip, skirt, filet mignon, rib eye, or grilled portobello. Then you pick a sauce: green peppercorn, shallot bordelaise, dijonnaise, chimichurri, butter maitre d'hotel, or béarnaise sauces. Landmarc was very generous with the steak- it took up half of my plate. It was cooked to a little on the rare side of medium rare, but oozed with flavor and tenderness. The peppercorn sauce added a spicy kick to it. And calling what came with it french fries did not do it justice. I will have to call them frites here because that’s what they were. Excellent frites a la Belgique! They were a little bit on the thicker side and cooked crispy. Some of the best frites I’ve had in the city. They were tossed with freshly chopped herbs and were oh so tasty.
When the server came to ask if we wanted dessert Carebear and I were stuffed. CottonCandy had seen spools of cotton candy being fed to eager patrons and decided to try one of her own (hence her new name on Mona’s Apple). It was just like what you see at the carnivals-a big pink sparkling cloud. I’m not a huge cotton candy person but had to try a taste and it was like walking into the land of Little Miss Strawberry.
Dinner at Landmarc was a treat. And I have Carebear and CottonCandy to thank for bringing me there. Thanks ladies! Landmarc serves up some classics with grace and style in an atmosphere that cries, "Come back! Come back soon!" There is a lot more at this restaurant I hope to try and next time I will order my own serving of the endive salad.
(no reservations taken except with parties of 6 or more)
179 West Broadway, b/t Leonard and Worth Streets
212-343-3883
14 Comments:
I'm so glad you liked it! I've always wanted to go there - after reading a great review in The New Yorker. They mentioned a good/inexpensive wine list - did you notice?
It sounds delicious - especially those frites. I'm definitely putting it on my (ever-growing) list of restaurants to try.
And UVA? - I spent some time not far down the road at W&L!
*Coodence, I believe that has changed. Their prices have definitely been jacked up according to my friend who's been a few times. They used to sell wines at cost, not so much anymore. I think one of the cheaper bottles was around 45...not so cheap in my book, sadly :(
*Mebeth, that's great, no kidding! What a small world...I am not a local Virginian or I'm sure we'd be able to play the name game. I know tons of VA friends who had other VA friends who were at W&L. Namegame aside,what year?
Nope, I'm not a Virginian either - I grew up in NJ but went to college and law school at W&L (class of 96 and 99, respectively) - anywhere near your time?
*Mebeth, yes yes. That's so cool. I'm class of '01 :)
Finally, good frites! What a fun-sounding restaurant!
Nice review. I'm always in search for a perfect steak frites. I'll add this to my list of must-tries.
MM
Ah - a little overlap at least! Perhaps you suffer, as I do, at the lack of biscuits here in NY. Overall, I'll take NY over VA, particularly food-wise, but mmmm I miss biscuits and sausage gravy!
ooh. Good question about the map-menu mebeth. Mona, would they allow you to keep one of the menus do ya think?
Hi Mona,
I've had the same experience as your friend CottonCandy with the surprise wine cost, although only with glasses, not bottles. And I appreciate the tip about the tap vs. bottled water question. I've never encountered this option outside of NYC... but I was sheltered in the laid-back Northwest.
Overall, sounds like a nice place for a belated birthday dinner with friends.
melissa
*S'kat, I know right? Finally is what I said too!
*Badge, definitely a must try..did you do Country yet? Dyin to hear about it.
*Mebeth, ohmygod biscuits and sausage gravy. You're kidding. I'm not alone. Me and the rest of the swim team used to eat both cafeterias out of sausage AND gravy every Sat. morning after practice. Whoa, I think I'm still tryin' to work it off!
*Seize, yah right? Ha! Had I had a couple more glasses of wine before choosing dinner it might have been a little complicated. But alas, was able to refold it back up neatly in its crisp rectangular form.
*Badge, food menu? Yes, I'm sure. Wine menu? Not so much. I asked the waiter if I could keep the wine menu after we had chosen a bottle and he said "Keep? No." I was like what do you think I am!?! I just wanna look at it!!
*Melissa, thanks for your comments. I think we've all been a little shocked at a wine purchase at one time or another..it's scary, isn't it? Definitely a great restaurant, if you're ever in NY!
I like that build you own steak idea. Chimichurri sauce Yummy!Thats for the review.
*Greg, yah I liked that too. I should really start to branch out from my usual dishes and try new things. Chimichurri will now be next on my list.
*DT, you are so funny! Where the heck have you been? Do you really know the place or are you yankin' my leg? I'll find out soon enough. How do like dem apples I added, thanks to your help!
Post a Comment
<< Home