Closed Table: The Art of Making Ko Reservations

I'm keeping tabs on the Momofuku Ko reservation success: casualty rate. So far it's 2:1 of my friends. My co-workers KatAttack and MellowYellow have both succeeded, while TheDude failed on his first attempt. Better luck next time, Dude!
I have yet to eat at Momofuku Ko (momofuku is Japanese for lucky peach). I don't know much about it except that there are 12 tables, you can only reserve a table online and that David Chang (its founder) has banned photos from being taken inside. If somebody invited me to go with them, I wouldn't turn them down, but I just haven't been all that excited about it. Mostly because I know Chang's success stemmed from his Noodle Bar and I am not a fan of ramen.
Until now.
Upon doing some research on Chang, I've developed a virtual chef crush. If you haven't read this profile piece in The New Yorker, read it now. The guy says "dude" more than Swimster (maybe it's a Korean-American thing), he is roughly 30 years old, he's won as many awards as Michael Phelps has medals, when asked about naming a restaurant David Chang's he said he'd "rather f**ing off himself" and he cried after his dinner at Per Se. He sounds like someone I'd be really good friends with.
After hearing relentless chatter from my co-workers about it -- off the hook IMs about their every waking moment on the Web site -- I asked for a write-up about the game of Ko.
MellowYellow reports:
David Chang's Ko (of Momofuku Noodle Bar and Ssam fame) is probably one of the most sought out reservations for NYC foodies (even BruniBaby struggled to get in). Having heard the buzz from friends and co-workers, I decided to give it a try.
The first time I tried making Ko reservations was the morning of July 5. I was hanging out with a buddy and we entertained the idea of getting reservations for that weekend. We figured most people would be out of town.
We sat in front of the computer at 9:55 a.m., where we proceeded to hit the refresh button for five minutes. 9:59:59 came around and we luckily clicked our way through to the actual page where you pick what time you want. We smiled as we saw a couple of green checks still available. We clicked on a random time that had a green check, but we were already too late. The reservations to our surprise and dismay filled up in less than a minute.
After coming so close to getting the reservations, I decided I would designate 9:55 to 10:00 a.m. everyday until I got the reservations. This desire to get reservations to a small 12-seat restaurant became an obsession of mine and nothing would come in my way of getting that reservation, not even waking up hungover with four hours of sleep would stop me. (That's my boy, MellowYellow!)
After weeks of trying both from home on weekends and from the office on weekdays, I realized the weekends were the best time for me to get a reservation since our network at the office was way too slow to get me in on time. After working every possible variation I could think of, I realized that the key was to cut down on the number of clicks you make with your keyboard and mouse, which in turn meant more time in the actual reservation page.
Finally last Saturday I tried out my new technique and to my surprise I got reservations.
With my reservations locked and set I decided I would push my luck and try to get reservations the following morning and have two consecutive days at Ko. I scored reservations again. Landing two consecutive nights at one of the most coveted and talked about restaurants in the city gave me a sense of cockiness. I decided I would push my luck even further and see how many days I could pull off.
Monday rolled around and as usual I set out the five minutes before 10 to prep for my reservation. I didn't get it. Surely it was the failed network at the office that stopped me from gaining elite status as being one of the only people to eat at Ko three days in a row.
On Tuesday again I get into my routine, but this time I was greeted with a nice surprise. In lower case red lettering on the bottom of my page was the image you see at the top of this post. I have officially been blacklisted from Ko for seven days! I guess I pissed off the Ko machine.
I'm not sure what did it -- it was either canceling one of my reservations or trying to go for more than two in one week that got me a little slap on the wrist from my friends at Ko.
I tried again on Wednesday to double check if I was making this up. I realized every new day you try to get a reservation after you have been temporarily blacklisted you reset the counter and start another seven days.
We will see if all my work pays off this weekend when I finally get to taste the food. If all goes well, and I am allowed by Ko to get out of my timeout corner, I will go for the gold and aim for the super 4-top reservation.
The first time I tried making Ko reservations was the morning of July 5. I was hanging out with a buddy and we entertained the idea of getting reservations for that weekend. We figured most people would be out of town.
We sat in front of the computer at 9:55 a.m., where we proceeded to hit the refresh button for five minutes. 9:59:59 came around and we luckily clicked our way through to the actual page where you pick what time you want. We smiled as we saw a couple of green checks still available. We clicked on a random time that had a green check, but we were already too late. The reservations to our surprise and dismay filled up in less than a minute.
After coming so close to getting the reservations, I decided I would designate 9:55 to 10:00 a.m. everyday until I got the reservations. This desire to get reservations to a small 12-seat restaurant became an obsession of mine and nothing would come in my way of getting that reservation, not even waking up hungover with four hours of sleep would stop me. (That's my boy, MellowYellow!)
After weeks of trying both from home on weekends and from the office on weekdays, I realized the weekends were the best time for me to get a reservation since our network at the office was way too slow to get me in on time. After working every possible variation I could think of, I realized that the key was to cut down on the number of clicks you make with your keyboard and mouse, which in turn meant more time in the actual reservation page.
Finally last Saturday I tried out my new technique and to my surprise I got reservations.
With my reservations locked and set I decided I would push my luck and try to get reservations the following morning and have two consecutive days at Ko. I scored reservations again. Landing two consecutive nights at one of the most coveted and talked about restaurants in the city gave me a sense of cockiness. I decided I would push my luck even further and see how many days I could pull off.
Monday rolled around and as usual I set out the five minutes before 10 to prep for my reservation. I didn't get it. Surely it was the failed network at the office that stopped me from gaining elite status as being one of the only people to eat at Ko three days in a row.
On Tuesday again I get into my routine, but this time I was greeted with a nice surprise. In lower case red lettering on the bottom of my page was the image you see at the top of this post. I have officially been blacklisted from Ko for seven days! I guess I pissed off the Ko machine.
I'm not sure what did it -- it was either canceling one of my reservations or trying to go for more than two in one week that got me a little slap on the wrist from my friends at Ko.
I tried again on Wednesday to double check if I was making this up. I realized every new day you try to get a reservation after you have been temporarily blacklisted you reset the counter and start another seven days.
We will see if all my work pays off this weekend when I finally get to taste the food. If all goes well, and I am allowed by Ko to get out of my timeout corner, I will go for the gold and aim for the super 4-top reservation.
I've enjoyed MellowYellow's Ko-thusiasm. I look forward to hearing how his dinner is, and then maybe I too will be duking it out with him at 9:55 a.m. for reservations. Stay tuned.
6 Comments:
no offense, but you write about food in nyc and yet you've just recently learned about david chang and ko? have you ever eaten at ssam bar? i would start there; it's a much cheaper and laid-back experience and has a great (and varied) menu to boot.
it's not that i've never heard of the place or chang, anon, i'd just never been or cared to go. but thanks for the tip about ssam!!
The FAQ section on the momofuku ko website specifically says they limit reservations to two per week.
I too find it amusing that you haven't heard of any of these rules at momofuku ko and have to detail the process of getting a reservation -- items that have been covered numerous times online: eater, NYTimes, chowhound, egullet, etc.
it's 12 seats, not tables. and they don't serve ramen at ko but skew toward the more innovative, such as grated frozen foie gras over lychee, pine nut brittle and riesling gelée. it is hands down the most amazing dining experience in nyc and truly lives up to the hype. just an advice but don't take frantic notes or snapshots of your dishes. it's too intimate for that and chang threw down the gauntlet on photos a while back. just appreciate the ingredients for what they are because the menu is uniquely yours for the evening. i agree with the first commenter. dine at the noodle and the ssam bar first to get an idea of what chang is about. they're different in their own ways yet very similar. and don't play with the online resy if you have no intention of going. i'm never this serious about dining in nyc but ko is not just any restaurant.
Whoa easy there anon #1 and #2. EEEEEASY.
钢管舞
钢管舞培训
北京钢管舞
爵士舞
北京音皇国际
留学意大利
意大利留学
碳雕
炭雕
活性炭
活性炭雕
空气净化产品
好想你枣
北京好想你枣
轴承
进口轴承
FAG轴承
NTN轴承
NSK轴承
SKF轴承
网站建设
网站推广
googel左侧优化
googel左侧推广
搜索引擎优化
仓壁振动器
给料机
分子蒸馏
短程蒸馏
薄膜蒸发器
导热油
真空泵油
胎毛笔
手足印
婴儿纪念品
婴幼儿纪念品
园林机械
草坪机
油锯
小型收割机
收割机
割灌机
割草机
电动喷雾器
地钻
采茶机
婚纱
北京婚纱
婚纱礼服
北京婚纱店
个性婚纱
礼服
北京礼服
礼服定制
礼服出租
飘人|飘人2008|云淡风清
罗茨鼓风机
三叶罗茨鼓风机
罗茨风机
章丘罗茨鼓风机
鼓风机
三叶罗茨风机
章丘鼓风机
章丘三叶罗茨风机
铣刀
Post a Comment
<< Home