Billy's Cupcakes
Here's a cupcake for your Easter weekend. I worked Oscar night with a few other lucky souls, and one of them brought in cupcakes for us. It's a good thing because I needed a serious sugar boost at three o'clock in the morning. When I asked my co-worker where the pastel-frosted masses were from, she said with gusto, "Billy's!"
"Billy's? Wow! I've never heard of it," I responded.
"Are you serious?" she asked with her neck jutting out incredulously.
"Yes?" I answered sheepishly. I decided to leave out the part about my food blog.
I know it's silly. I run this blog, but I often find I'm the last to hear about a good thing. Maybe because I work in the news business, and when I leave the office I avoid the news for the little free time I have. If you ask me a current events question, like what's the name of the female British soldier who was held captive by the Iranians, I'll tell you, along with the names of the other fourteen soldiers. But ask me what restaurants are opening and closing each day and I'll give you a blank look. I'm trying to get better at this (see Morandi below), but it's taking a little time.
Billy's cupcake was excellent. It was fluffy but dense. It was moist and the frosting was just right - I didn't feel like I was biting into sugar cubes. If you put a Magnolia, Buttercup and Billy's cupcake in front of me, I'd be hard-pressed to differentiate one from the other. It seems like the birthday cupcakes of my youth have been replaced by the sweet sensation of these three cupcakes.
I checked out Billy's website and learned it serves everything from carrot cake to my favorite red velvet cake, to cookies and muffins and an icebox cake that would make my mom weep. I look forward to trying more of Billy's sweet offerings, and maybe next time I'll be able to enjoy it when the sun's still shining.
Happy Easter to all of you, though it certainly doesn't feel very Easter-y outside. What is your favorite New York City cupcake?
184 9TH Ave., between 21st and 22nd St.
(212) 647-9956
13 Comments:
Moni your my favorite cupcake!~ :P
Happy Easter Big Sis
love Tedward
Glad to find this blog. Born and bred New Yorker now living in the Boston suburbs but in New York regularly for work.
Hey, what happened to Luna Restaurant down on Mulberry St.?
******
http://surfcountry.blogspot.com/
Lets see, I'm a blogger, see, and I try to keep that a secret.
Hi Mona! Have you heard from Cooking for Kodiak lately?
So what do you do with the rest of it after you've eaten the icing?
i actually didn't like billy's cupcakes when i had them. too dry for me.
My favorite of all of the cupcake contenders is a woman named Edie who makes them on the side of her cake business.
website: http://www.boey.com/cakesnshapes/
her's are the best i've ever had.
Billy's are actually my favorite - and they're just a few blocks from my apartment. Dangerous.
hi mona! how was your easter?? i'm with you, snow + easter sunday = bummmmerrrrrrr (however my yummy brunch at jane yesterday helped warm me up!)
my favorites: buttercup & crumbs (yes magnolias are very good too, but personally I think they're a little overrated...)
another great little desert shop that I think may have recently closed down was right around the corner from my apt called: martha frances' mississippi cheesecake. no cupcakes, but they had the best red velvet cake i've ever had
I think Billy used to work at Magnolia and then left and they're all suing each other, actually. It's surprising I know that... but anyway, I like Sugar Sweet Sunshine, after having tried Magnolia and one other place. Mmmm. Sugar Sweet Sunshine. But then, I'm not much of a sweets person myself :)
Interesting Yvo - a battle among bakers. Do you know why they're being sued?
Proprietary bakeshop secrets? Is Billy's, as Mona alludes, a copycat cupcake?
I have never ever never met a cupcake I didn't like. Ever.
And now I want one. Gee, thanks!
Billy's....eh. It's sad how hard it is to find a truly transcendant cupcake (other than my wife...awww).
I'll have give Billy's another try because Mona says so. That's a good enough reason for me.
So, I would like a Billy's cupcake if I found Magnolia's too sweet and dense?
Doug- for the recipe. I've had people suggest rather snarkily that Magnolia etc. all taste like Betty Crocker- consistently delicious, but still a box mix. *shrug*
Post a Comment
<< Home