Monday, March 20, 2006

Blue Ribbon Bakery

I got an exciting voicemail a couple weekends back from a surprise visitor. One of my best friends from college GreekGoddess was in my city. She recently switched jobs and her training brought her up north. My friend K.Adler and I got the surprise alert and dinner plans were immediately in the works.

K.Adler, GreekGoddess, and I all met during our good ol' undergraduate days at Virginia. GG was a second year when K.Adler and I came in as first years on the swim team. Scary to think that was almost nine years ago. Since then we have all gone our separate ways, but dinner that night at Blue Ribbon Bakery (K.Adler's pick as it's one of her and her husband LeMec's favorite places to eat) reminded me distance and time does not sever close ties among friends. We caught up that night like no time had been lost and I realized how much I miss their friendship.

Blue Ribbon Bakery has the corner spot on Downing and Bedford. You can't miss its large open windows. As I approached the entrance around the corner, I glanced inside to find a cavernous dining room filled with smiling faces (and stomachs). I guessed this must be the place. Walking by I got a warm feeling inside of curiosity and wonder, it reminded me of the feeling I get when I walk by the Saks Fifth Avenue Christmas windows. This was going to be a special night.

I walked in and found the crowd bustling and staff zipping in and out of the tightly packed tables in the dining room. I heard my name called from the left and found GG and her new beau waiting, and K.Adler and her husband sipping on wine and beer, already enjoying themselves and the surroundings. The bar is immediately to your left when you walk in and it was a pretty tight fit. K.Adler and GG scored a corner seat by the window and we hugged and cheered over our excitement that we were seeing each other for the first time in months.

LeMec and K.Adler go to Blue Ribbon Bakery often and it showed as one gentleman (uncertain if he was a host or the manager) kept coming over to check on us, and gave us an update on how our table was doing. This treatment was greatly appreciated (and always is when you're at a bar waiting on a table). It gets on my nerves when you order up a strong cocktail and they come to seat you as soon as you've taken the first sip. You want to tip out the bartender but are left with some confusion as to whether or not the tab will be transferred to the table. Nobody wants to stiff the bartender. This said kind gentleman even gave us a choice of tables when two opened up, and we chose upstairs.

Blue Ribbon Bakery is one of the Bromberg brothers' five restaurants. Their others include Blue Ribbon Sushi (one in Brooklyn, one in Manhattan) and Blue Ribbon (also one in Brooklyn, one in Manhattan). The two brothers from New Jersey studied at Le Cordon Bleu in France, which translates into "The Blue Ribbon" in English. In 1995 a 140 year old brick oven was discovered in the basement of a bodega at 35 Downing Street in the West Village. The oven was originally used as a neighborhood oven and later by a family who owned a bakery. It had been dormant for 75 years before its discovery. The Bromberg brothers used this brick oven as inspiration to create their restaurant Blue Ribbon Bakery, and the brick oven downstairs still remains in use. The breads are sold wholesale to NYC restaurants (sadly not to us yocal locals yet). If you have to use the bathroom, head downstairs and the famous oven will be to your right.

After more catching up on the most recent news in our hectic lives, we were escorted to our six-top table along the banquette. Girls inside, boys on the outside. There was a long mirror that went from one end of the banquette, and the combination of this and the large square windows opened up the space. The walls were of exposed brick and I felt myself sinking in to the warmth and charm of Blue Ribbon.

I grabbed my menu to glance at the choices and was overwhelmed. The appetizers ranged from French fries to herring in cream, from pate to beet vinaigrette, from shrimp boil to pickled tongue. Something on the diverse list of appetizers was bound to please someone's tastebuds. LeMec recommended a few dishes and we fully trusted his choices. We ordered one steamed artichoke for the table, two asparagus vinaigrette plates, and two mushroom ravioli dishes, not to mention the bread basket that came to the table. There was a sourdough bread, a darker wheat bread, and an olive bread. All the breads are made downstairs in their bakery (go to the bathroom so you can see the bread elves in action). The olive bread was moist and salty and I couldn't stop putting my hands in the bread basket to "try" another piece. The steamed artichoke was hot and juicy and the vinaigrette dipping sauce was the same one served with the asparagus. It was light and had a citrus-y dill flavor. I think they are building a site for Blue Ribbon products, let's hope the vinaigrette will be one of the things you can buy. The asparagus was perfectly cooked with a slight crispness to it with the vinaigrette drizzled on top. The vinaigrette made this dish, and now whenever I see or hear asparagus I'm going to want BR's vinaigrette to go along with it. And last and liked most I think, we had the mushroom ravioli. There were three or four on the plate and we were all fighting for the last bites of each. The raviolis were rich in mushroom and cream, like pillows of goodness. I loved halving them with my fork and seeing the pasta dough wrap around the mushrooms inside.

For our entrees we all chose something different. My friends have fun with the fact I keep a restaurant blog and they wanted to give me as many tasting possibilities as they could. LeMec tried the fried chicken with mash potatoes and collard greens. The chicken was soft and tender on the inside with a cackling crispness on the outside-just how fried chicken's supposed to be. K.Adler tried the generous Hummus platter with iceberg and cous cous salad. I stole some of the warm pita and dunked it in some hummus. The hummus was the perfect proportion of garlic and chickpea. I tried the salmon with asparagus and mash potatoes in a mustard sauce. The generous filet of salmon was grilled to perfection and topped with crispy potato flakes. The mash potatoes were thick but not too thick. I grabbed gobs of them in my fork and the salmon, mash, mustard trio was excellent. GreekGoddess tried the French onion soup, that came out in a giant bowl, more like a cauldron, that was big enough for a family of four to share. I tried a big spoonful of onions and cheese and it was just the right sweetness and saltiness. And last but not least GG's new beau tried the rack of lamb in a roasted tomato sauce. Since we only just met, I decided it was too early for me to be reaching across the table and stealing food off his plate.

As if all this wasn't enough, the dessert menu had too many inviting things to try and ordering one (though it would have been enough to satisfy our full stomachs) was not sufficient for our curious tastebuds. After some discussion, we went with the hot fudge sundae (GG was like a little girl in Dylan's Candy Bar over ordering this dessert) and the banana walnut bread pudding with banana caramel sauce. The sundae was larger than life-I could have gone swimming in it, as was the banana walnut bread. Hot fudge was erupting out of the ice cream like an overflowing volcano. The bread pudding put all its cousins to shame. It was tightly packed but the bread was soft and light. A spoon of the pudding dipped in the caramel sauce put me over the edge of content. The Bromberg brothers definitely get my blue ribbon for excellence.

(BR gets three apples, temporarily blogger is not allowing me to upload images)
35 Downing Street (between Downing and Bedford)
212.337.0404

18 Comments:

Blogger Butterbemme said...

Yes, it's nice to meet old friends and mates again.
Recently when I was in Hamburg I met a friend from school. I haven't seen her for about two years.
Time passed away to fast.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Holy crap, you tried SO MANY THINGS!

I want that fried chicken...but I loved the sandwiches! Ahhhhh! BUT FRIED! CHICKEN! FAT! CRISPY!

Oh, and I really want that sundae. The only time I saw an erupting sundae was at The Little Pie Company; the damn thing moved...it was self-churning. Anyhoo. Ice cream I can swim in sounds appealing. Kinda.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

You know I think Robyn went there the other day and I made a comment on her post too.

I loved this place for brunch. My friends and I were seated downstairs next to the ovens (which I didn't even realize were that old--thanks for the info, neat!) and it was so nice to be there sniffing the freshly baked bread while we ate.

One of the best brunches I've had in NYC. My most recent one is a soon to be published blog post.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy, this sounds like my kind of place! I didn't know anywhere north of the Mason Dixon fixed collared greens! And that sundae... mmm

WHO IS GG's NEW BEAU?

Love,
Malibu

7:29 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

BB, yes yes it does. It's scary. I can't believe I've been out of college for five years.

Angela, thanks for visiting.

Robyn, ha :) You are too funny. I know, right? We got so much stuff it was incredible...the food just kept on coming!!! I'm curious about the sandwiches now. Ha, glad you liked the swimming sundae:) It was yummmmy!

Rose, I've heard the brunch is fantastic. I'm now inspired to go back after you vouching for it being one of the best in the city. I wonder how early they start serving as I have to be at work at 11 on the weekends...hmm...I'm also happy you liked reading about the ovens. I found that off the website and that was my favorite thing about the place.

Malibu, ha you're hilarious. I never had collard greens and I didn't try them this night either. You would have loved it, this kid at work today tried telling me Virginia wasn't in the South..excuse me!?! What is he talkin' 'bout? You haven't met GG's beau? You gotta, he's great:)

10:24 PM  
Blogger Kate Croft said...

I love Blue Ribbon! Last time I went there I had the mushroom ravioli as well...and also some wonderful oysters. Mmmm...lovely post!

(PS. With regard to the tuna steaks--have you been to Essex Street Market> So cheap!!!!)

11:29 PM  
Blogger Coodence said...

Mona! This is my favorite NYC restaurant! MMM MM MM Blue Ribbon! They have the best cream of tomato soup I have ever eaten everywhere.

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been there, but will add it to my "Mona list". I loved the story about the oven--can you imagine that! What a marvelous history - no wonder the bread is so delicious.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

man that sounds good. I'll need to check it out next time I am in town.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Paige Jennifer said...

I've been to Blue Ribbon Sushi (can you say heaven?) but didn't know there were sister spots worth hitting. With that review, Blue Ribbon Bakery just made my list of must-try eateries. Where oh where is Mona going to suggest next???

9:28 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

kate, so excited to hear about the essex street market, that's awesome. i'm definitely going to check that out.

coodence, next time i'm in the mood for soup i'll definitely have to try it...tomato basil is one of my favorites!

janice, i know, the oven story is so cool! i loved reading about it on their website. and thought that would be neat to share with my blogging buddies :)

vanessa, yes, yes you should. and let me know when you do! so i can hear if you're just as pleased as i was.

violet, thanks for the compliments. it's great to hear from you again! hope you're doing well:) ha, the glamour ($$$) is slowly running out this month. and don't be fooled, i barely make minimum wage. the credit card is slowly sneaking up on me :)

paigejenn, ha:) thanks for stopping in. so the sushi is just as good, eh? that's great to hear. i will have to try that! hope your writing class is going well.

11:07 AM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

I love the regular Blue Ribbon restaurant - every time I go I order the fried chicken! I'm going to have to check out the bakery too.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Gustad said...

oh wow, i didnt know all those blue ribbons were the same.... i love artichoke btw

3:16 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

mebeth, then i will have to try the real blue ribbon:)

gustad, thanks for visiting! and leaving a comment. me too. i love me some artichokes, especially the hearts!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Gustad said...

hey mona. thanks for the comments. i THINK i found you on somebody elses blog, but i dont know anymore! maybe a comment or something like that.
keep in touch

2:02 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

gustad, sure will. adding you to nyers who blog list right now:)

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exemplary review, Mona! The food sounds delightful (ooh, that bread basket!), but I also appreciated reading about the history of the restaurant. I would love to see the historic oven, and, of course, dine at the Bakery myself; too bad I don't live a bit closer to NY! Well done!

Thanks for dropping by my blog the other day! I highly recommend more time spent eating lemon squares, and less time spent at work!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Tania, thank YOU for visiting my blog. I am happy everyone else enjoyed the oven story as much as I did :) Mmm, I'm craving that olive bread right about now...and a nice lemon square would be nice too! Hope you're having a good weekend!

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.