Saturday, August 13, 2005

La Lanterna di Vittorio


(somewhat frustrated as I spilt my heart and soul out about this place, only to find it erased in a sudden computer freeze-up...so I will start again.)
I was apartment hunting downtown and feeling miserable, until I discovered this hidden gem in Greenwich Village...
I walked inside and surprisingly found one of the cutest, most charming places in the city completely empty, not a single person inside...must have been my late lunching hour.
Lanterna is small and cozy, and it feels like you're taking a walk back in time. There are loud old-fashioned coffee makers behind the glass counter, which is itself filled with desserts and pastries. The walls are riddled with pictures, and as I walked back I noticed a garden.
The friendly waiter sat me in the back, at one of the wrought iron tables next to the fountain. I had found myself a real inner-city oasis.
I relaxed, picked out a few dishes and read my book. The quiche del giorno was broccoli and cheddar, with eggs broiled just right, and a sprinkle of crispy melted cheese on top. They serve it with mixed greens and a light balsamic dressing. I regret not trying the pizza, now having seen pictures of it on their website. The paninis are all baked on fresh delicious bread and a hundred times better than "paninis" anywhere else in the city (paninis have become the new bagel it seems, and you can't really find a good one anywhere).
I resisted dessert but when I saw a coffee come out to the table next to me I opted for one...
One of my top 10 favorite places in the city...can't wait to get back.

Macdougal Street, off Washington Square Park

http://lalanternacaffe.com/page/nutb/Home_Page.html

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

La lanterna has been one of my favorite cafe's for over a decade.

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.