Thursday, August 11, 2005

Gennaro

This could be one of my favorite finds...and a place where I would like to be considered a regular...
Swimster and I stumbled upon it while I was apartment hunting on the UWS.
Smallish hole in the wall Italian place (often the best kind). The friendly host seated us right away, on what seemed to be a very busy evening (we hadn't even eaten but Gennaro already went up 10 points in my book). We were treated like royalty and the food was VERY affordable...a dream for a pauper like myself, and hard to come by in this city..where normally you pay an arm and a leg for delicious food and so-so service.
Menu memorables: The appetizers were good...though polenta a little on the soupy side. Go for the goat cheese salad instead with candied walnuts. The pasta dishes were the perfect size and cooked to just the right temperature (I'm a stickler for al dente anything).

amsterdam between 92nd and 93rd... take the 1,2, 3 to 96th street

*they do NOT take reservations...and sadly people have discovered this place...
**you must go to the atm before you go here ...cash only

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love Gennaro too! You didn't mention the amazing (and amazingly huge) antipasto platter for two. We've never had to wait very long for a table, but we like to eat kind of late...

7:31 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Antipasto platter? Whoa!
Sounds like we will have to order that next time!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My fiance and I had our first date at Gennaro five years ago! Love the place, and ditto on the antipasto platter. The waits can still be obnoxious but not as bad as they used to be (the restaurant used to be 50% smaller than it is now!).

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.