Da Silvano
No matter how many years out of college you are, it's still hard to say no when your friend invites you to dinner with his/her folks. I seem to have friends with very generous parents, and Da Silvano is one of the places I was lucky enough to visit...though probably wouldn't rush back...
Before I begin, I have to mention that the folks that brought me to Da's are true celebrity hounds. They don't even live here but are somehow able to sniff out where the celebs will be...Angus McIndoe, Joe Allen, Da Silvano, among many others are just a few of the places you're sure to find an actor/director/producer/etc...so if this is your mission, by all means...read in the Post recently that Madonna was spotted eating at Da's (guess it's ok to eat pasta now!)
There are 2 restaurants on the same block, so if you're meeting friends make sure to figure out which one they're at so as to avoid seeming dumb or clueless (which I did). My party was on the left. There are tall Italian men waiting outside in suits to escort you into the restaurant, eager to seat you (if you have a reservation) or eager to tell you there is a 45 minute wait.
Menu memorables...great wines by the glass but not so generous on the pours, enormous serving of calamari (a little batter-heavy) & plenty for 4 people, fusili (al dente-my favorite) with sausage and crisp asparagus, penne a la vodka (just the right blend of cream and tomato), tender chicken, and souffles for dessert. I can't pass up the volcano chocolate cake while others chose the healthier sorbet...very friendly and handsome staff, at one point I wasn't sure if I was in Roma during a World Cup soccer game or at a restaurant in the west village. Waiters got together and chanted a soccer cheer. LOVE IT!
6th on the corner of Houston and Bleeker (take the F/V to 4th St)
212-982-2343
Before I begin, I have to mention that the folks that brought me to Da's are true celebrity hounds. They don't even live here but are somehow able to sniff out where the celebs will be...Angus McIndoe, Joe Allen, Da Silvano, among many others are just a few of the places you're sure to find an actor/director/producer/etc...so if this is your mission, by all means...read in the Post recently that Madonna was spotted eating at Da's (guess it's ok to eat pasta now!)
There are 2 restaurants on the same block, so if you're meeting friends make sure to figure out which one they're at so as to avoid seeming dumb or clueless (which I did). My party was on the left. There are tall Italian men waiting outside in suits to escort you into the restaurant, eager to seat you (if you have a reservation) or eager to tell you there is a 45 minute wait.
Menu memorables...great wines by the glass but not so generous on the pours, enormous serving of calamari (a little batter-heavy) & plenty for 4 people, fusili (al dente-my favorite) with sausage and crisp asparagus, penne a la vodka (just the right blend of cream and tomato), tender chicken, and souffles for dessert. I can't pass up the volcano chocolate cake while others chose the healthier sorbet...very friendly and handsome staff, at one point I wasn't sure if I was in Roma during a World Cup soccer game or at a restaurant in the west village. Waiters got together and chanted a soccer cheer. LOVE IT!
6th on the corner of Houston and Bleeker (take the F/V to 4th St)
212-982-2343
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home