Friday, April 02, 2010

Bomboloni



Day 82 of the T-90 Project

Bomboloni just opened a few blocks away from my office on Columbus Avenue and a co-worker and I decided to make an afternoon stroll of it. Curious minds think alike.

It certainly has an inviting spot. The wide-open doors and ceiling-to-floor windows just beg you to pop in for a treat. I wasn't sure if it was a dessert spot or if it had lunch and we learned it has both, though not the best selection of the latter.

They had about four sandwiches in the display case and they were poorly labeled. One I thought was vegetarian (sign read pesto - mozzarella) actually had chicken in it so that was a no go. There was an eggplant one and an egg and potato one (no signs and the woman had to tell us what was in them). The bread looked delicious, but the contents not so much.


We checked out the refrigerator and found huge bowls of pasta salad. As a marathon trainee I'd been craving pasta so I went with this and @Cplawj did as well. The ice cream looked very tempting but we decided to go with the original bomboloni for which the store is named. Check these little babies out.



When I got back to my desk with my five-pound bowl of pasta salad I was very excited. The iced tea I'd purchased was delicious. I loved the pasta salad -- probably one of the best store-bought ones I've ever had. The pasta wasn't over-cooked and the veggies and cheese mixed in were great (though a little bit too heavy on the eggplant and carrots). This was the Ben and Jerry's chubby hubby of pasta salad - jam-packed.

Last but not least, the bomboloni was a soft pocket of custard goodness. I'm not a huge jelly donut fan so I was a bit worried. It had the perfect level of gooey-ness. And they're not huge so you won't feel too guilty after eating it, though one may not be enough. We went for the traditional flavor (vanilla custard) and I can't wait to try more. @Cplawj was disappointed they weren't serving spumoni, but the girl behind the bar said the ice cream and gelato flavors change daily so we'll just have to go back and see.

Buon appetito!



187 Columbus Avenue, at 68th Street
(212)-877-3080

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you are movin to LA!? AHHH!!!

I like this 90 day idea! You "seize the day" like no one else I know! Enjoy your last few months in the city! Looks like I never will make it up for that visit? wtf! Also, good luck in the marathon!!! I'm so impressed with a 20 mile run! I'd love to run another, but the though of doing any run over 12 miles right now is not appealing whatsoever. Love ya! MAL

8:16 PM  
Blogger Fashionista's Mom said...

I'm enjoying your final posts, but saddened too! I will not only miss you and your gastronomical tips, but will also miss hearing about all the exploits of "THE TRES AMIGAS". Make sure I get to see you and share a New York meal with you one more time before you leave.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

aww, thanks, mal! you're so funny. please. how's little tucker? yes ma'am, LA here i come. crazy, right? but i've been ready for a change and this is it, baby! i don't know if it's possible but if i have time i'd love to get down there to see you before i go. will keep you posted.

hi, mrs. fashionista :) thanks so much for writing. i LOVE it! fashionista always said you read the blog but i think this is a first time you've left a comment. woohoo! success. i heard you are coming up in a month or so so i hope i get to see you then. take care and i can't imagine life on the west coast without the tres amigas!

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.