Wednesday, March 31, 2010

T-90 Project: Taking a Class

Day 83 of the T-90 Project:

I signed up for a Mediabistro class a few weeks ago and though my excitement for the class faded, I knew it was something I couldn't miss. I ran my 10-miler in the park, showered quickly and hopped on the F train down to 2nd Avenue. Sree Sreenivasan, a professor at Columbia Journalism School, was teaching the class, and though he'd recently visited us at ABC, I knew I'd get a lot more out of the three-hour course than the hour-long lunch break we had at the office.

In addition to hearing a few things from the first go around:

"Be an early tester and a late adopter."

"Don't put 'social media thought leader' in your Twitter bio. Trust me, I've seen it."

"Listen first, market second."

"Begging for fans is not attractive."

"Twitter is e-mail without the guilt."

Sree brought a guest speaker who seemed really on top of her game. Soraya Darabi used to be the social media "guru" at The New York Times. I say "guru" because social media is so young and she looked about as old as your roommate did her second year in college. Hard to be a guru then, right? When I think of guru I imagine someone more along the lines of Nicodemus from "The Secret of Nimh."

What grabbed me tonight was that the pair highly recommended Facebook fan pages for anyone trying to market themselves or a brand. Clearly I'd love it if Mona's Apple had as many fans as Ashton Kutcher does Twitter followers (these days @aplusk's up to about five million), so maybe I need to take the freezing, scary plunge. It's something I've been skeptical of for some time. I don't want to beg people to "fan" Mona's Apple. Sreenivasan actually admitted to "hating" the word fan page, but it's something I think I may end up exploring.

What are your thoughts? Good night from day 7 of the T-90 Project. A demain!

6 Comments:

Blogger Paramendra Kumar Bhagat said...

You showed up on page one of a Google search for me. Something to feel good about. ...... Sree is a friend, but then he is the most networked Desi in the city. He has many friends. :-)

8:27 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

how cool! what were you googling? i'm always curious how people find me. "most networked desi." HA! that's hilarious. thanks for stopping by and for leaving a comment.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

I think I might be a very late adapter when it comes to Twitter. Just seems like noise to me.Looks like you are coming home to Cali!

5:15 PM  
Blogger Butter Lover said...

You're leaving? I never got to have a long, tortured romance with you! Pencil me in for Day 52.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Orlando Divorce Attorney said...

Fine

10:10 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

yes sir, greg! can you believe it? took me long enough. hope you are well!

haha, thanks butter lover. love it. and consider yourself penciled in for day 52.

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.