Harry's Burrito Junction

Went to dinner last night, as kind of a pre-game for a surprise party at Suede.
Our prereqs were dinner had to be close to the club we were going to (to make and not break the surprise) and to eat on the cheap.
If you're looking for relatively cheap Mexican food (not so cheap to my co-worker Blackbeard who said he wouldn't pay more than $5 for a burrito) in the West Village, head to Harry's.
I walked in and found soft neon lighting and funky lamps dangling from all corners of the restaurant, making it a faux-Mexican dive. Nobody was really quick to assist me so I just found my way to the back where I found my girlfriends. This was a telltale sign of the somewhat laggard service for the rest of the evening...
Entrees ranged from $8 to $13 and pitchers of margaritas are a must. My only complaint is for some ungodly reason they don't make pitchers on the rocks, only blended, which we learned the hard way. Blended pitcher came to the table and figured it was too late to say no.
My friends ordered quesaDILLuhs in all shapes and sizes, some with avocado, some with chicken, some with artichoke and some with shrimp. As soon as I saw them come out I knew my chicken taco salad had been a mistake. And they even had whole wheat tortILLuhs, which I regret not ordering on the side. I did get to taste a few bites of one and it was soft and warm and chewy, just like it should be.
The quesaDILLuhs were enormous, and not sliced neat and pretty like you normally see. They looked like huge over-stuffed crepes and I wanted to dive my teeth right in to the girl's sitting next to me, but that would have been very rude and unladylike...
Nobody actually got a burrito, but who needs burritos when you've got quesaDILLuhs the size of my thigh.
Lolita and I ordered the aforementioned salad and I was slightly disappointed, beyond my quesaDILLuh envy. The salad was rather smallish and enclosed in a neat taco shell.
Unfortunately there was NO salad inside, even after I dug to the bottom of my shell. There were, however, way too many beans. "Beans, beans the magical fruit..." Needless to say I'm paying for it today. Did I mention I'm at work? The chicken was tender and coated in a light Cajun spice (the best part of the "salad") but the guacamole was a little dark for my liking...if it's not a lighter shade of green I'm a little scared.My margarita on the rocks was a little on the sweet side, it needed a little bit more lime juice and tequila, but the blended one was actually drinkable. The alcohol here did its job, got us ready for a fun night.
I should note (for my vegetarian co-worker Winette) that Harry's offers vegan substitutes like tofu sour cream, soy cheese (w/casein), whole wheat tortillas and brown rice for their burritos, enchiladas and the like.
Menu
*reservations not accepted*
230 Thompson St. , (bet. 3rd and Bleeker )
(212) 260-5588
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home